News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Tucson International Airport (TUS, KTUS)

Started by Matt Ottosen, September 02, 2009, 06:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Morrow

HI Everyone

I had some friends visit from the UK last weekend telling that about 40 A-10's from DM were down at Tucson Int, I know it was reported on here about the runway at DM being closed for re-surfacing work but does anyone know when this started, also the A-10's are parked outside the old terminal, hope to get down to get some shots, not been out for ages.

Harry
Harry Morrow

www.harrymorrowphotography.com
www.flickr.com/harrymorrowphotography

Joe Copalman

A-10s started flying out of TIA this week, D-Ms EC-130s began ops out of Gateway as well.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Chris Kennedy

I remember there was some speculation here on the forum about where the AZANG alert F-16s would go. Where did they go?
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Joe Copalman

March seems to be the closest base that supports Noble Eagle missions, and I believe someone on Fencecheck posted a shot of two AZ Vipers flying out of there with live missiles a few weeks back.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Chris Janes

QuoteI remember there was some speculation here on the forum about where the AZANG alert F-16s would go. Where did they go?

There are three or four down at the end of taxiway A17 at TUS. A17 is restricted to military aircraft as of last night.

Joe Copalman

My understanding is that live munitions are prohibited at TIA, which is why the Tucson alert birds stage out of DM. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

Quote from: Joe Copalman on April 01, 2011, 07:51:30 AM
My understanding is that live munitions are prohibited at TIA, which is why the Tucson alert birds stage out of DM. 

Correct.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Ned Harris

Dept of Homeland Security P-3 landing at TIA on 4/1/11.

_MG_4238 DHS P-3 by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Ned Harris

U.S. Dept. of Justice Dash-8 landing at TIA on 4/1/11.

_MG_4133 DeHavilland DHC-8 by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

John B.

Both fine catches, Ned.  Looks like TIA is suddenly a really hot place to shoot--A-10s, F-16s, airliners, GA.  Almost as hot as Willie!

Joe Copalman

Much, much hotter.

ZERO military stuff at Willie this afternoon, and NOBODY has caught the EC-130s flying. 

Solid catches Ned, and both great shots.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Chris Janes

QuoteMy understanding is that live munitions are prohibited at TIA, which is why the Tucson alert birds stage out of DM. 
This morning at the "last chance" near  A-17.  There are three F-16s with fuel pods that have what appear to be g suits draped over them, missiles on each wingtip and on hard points under the wings. There are two double wide trailers next to them. I'm not the brightest person but they look like Alert birds to me. No engine run ups are allowed at A-17. That area of the airport is being well protected.

http://www.162fw.ang.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/100413-F-0000H-010.jpg

This is the load out of the three. Ill try and get a picture tonight when I go in.

Joe Copalman

That does sound like it.  The banding on the missiles will be the "tell."  Brown and yeller = kill a feller.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

jslugman

Wonder if they got a "boom" waiver while the runway's down?
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Ned Harris

In addition to the A-10s, the Homeland Security aircraft have also moved to TIA while the DM runway is being repaved. This Cessna Citation is painted differently than the others I've seen.

_MG_3205 Cessna Citation (N2734K) by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona