News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX, KPHX)

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 15, 2009, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

JET PLANES, ISLANDS, TIGERS ON A GOLD LEASH . . .
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Ross Dinsdale

I'm digging all the different looks everyone is posting
Turd Ferguson
Las Vegas, Nevada
Comments and Critique are always welcome.

"Chair Juggling Extraordinaire"

Joe Copalman

Whoa.  Area-ruled engine nacelles.  Didn't even notice that.  Cool close-up Harvey.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Thank you gentlemen, just looking for a different view.

Scott Youmans

Harvey, Love the close up shot. I was considering selling my 300mm but I think you just changed my mind.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Anna M. Wood

Great images everyone of the Qatar Amiri flight...    :)

Matt Ottosen

Since posting my photo yesterday evening to the Internet, I have received a little schooling and done a lot of research on this Boeing 747-8i BBJ.  It turns out that this aircraft does not belong to Qatar Amiri Flight and is not used by the current Emir of Qatar.  This is actually Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani's personal aircraft, and is registered to Worldwide Aircraft Holding in Bermuda.  Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani is a member of the ruling Al Thani Qatari royal family, and he was the ruling Emir of Qatar from 1995 to 2013.

Boeing 747-8i BBJ
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Joe Copalman

This makes the medical connection make more sense, since it was the current Emir's father who would come to AZ for treatment.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

That said, I'm pretty sure it is still an Amiri Flight bird.  The fact that it is registered to a holding company is irrelevant - how many airlines and charters and corporations have their aircraft "owned" by banks or trusts or holding companies?

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Interesting background info. I got back to the house yesterday and wondered aloud to my wife why a "royal" from Qatar would come to Phoenix in the middle of the summer heat? She quickly said, the Mayo Clinic. Who knows, maybe she's right.

Regardless of who actually owns and was using this wonderful example of flying wretched excess, my genealogy shows we're related  ;D

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Maybe I can get a job with them as a bus boy!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Joe Copalman on July 04, 2015, 09:27:36 AM
That said, I'm pretty sure it is still an Amiri Flight bird.  The fact that it is registered to a holding company is irrelevant - how many airlines and charters and corporations have their aircraft "owned" by banks or trusts or holding companies?

You are right about aircraft that are registered to holding companies, but what I am finding is that all Qatar Amiri Flight aircraft have A7-??? (Qatar) registrations.  There is a lot of conflicting information online about this aircraft and who owns/operates her, but through digging a little deeper it appears that it is not part of Qatar Amiri Flight.  I do know that the FBO reservation was not done with Qatar Amiri Flight, but with a company in the UK that is owned by Boeing.  With that said, I honestly can't find any concrete evidence that it either is or is not a Qatar Amiri Flight bird.  There appears to be many questions about this aircraft's true owner and whether it is part of Qatar Amiri Flight.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.