Sky Harbor

Started by CJPalmer, August 27, 2009, 04:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsox223

There is a Waffle House on University and I-10 which does provide easy access to getting to either side of the airport.

Rob Silliman

Quote from: CJPalmer on August 31, 2009, 02:13:45 PM
I'd be up for breakfast. Know of a good place that might have wifi? If so I can track it until it while we plan.

Wifi isn't a hard and fast requirement.  I can tether my Corporate Blackberry to my laptop for bandwidth wherever I can get signal.  I was using it to post the pictures of the NASA T-38 the other weekend from the picnic tables next to the grassy knoll at Williams.

Rob Silliman

Short of a work emergency - I plan on starting the day at Denny's off of 48th Street and AZ143 at 8:30am on Sunday morning.  At that point will check on-line to see what the current ETA of the Air China jumbo is and plan which end of the airport to take pictures from.

If anyone else is planning on taking pictures of this plane's arrival on Sunday - and want to meet up - let me know.

Rob

----

Address for Denny's;
825 SOUTH 48TH ST
TEMPE, AZ 85281

redsox223

I will meet you there sometime around 9ish.

David Loera

You don't concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done.
Chuck Yeager

David "Wiz" Loera
Mesa, AZ
All images © David Loera, all rights reserved.

John S

I would like to meet up at the airport say about 11:00, but have to leave there by 11:40 for work.  Hopefully I won't work another 13 hour night tonight, that way I don't sleep all morning.  What site do you to watch the flight?

John   

Joe Copalman

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KPHX/enroute.

It hasn't shown up as being scheduled yet.  I'm really hoping this shows up on FlightAware.  Should make it much easier to get it.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Rob Silliman

Assuming a 12 hour flight time - it should show up in Flight tracking no later than Midnight PDT/MST. I'll check later tonight and send an update when it/if it shows up.

Rob

Rob Silliman

FlightAware isn't showing the flight yet....

John S

Not on yet as of 12:50am

Rob Silliman

OK - it is on Flight Aware now.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CCA18

It is coming out of the Carribean - not direct from China (came out of China last week, to Canada, and then to the Carribean).  It looks like this is the start of the return flight.

Currently scheduled to land just before 11am PDT/MST - so probably will be coming out of the West (depending on weather).

Joe Copalman

If traffic is still moving from the west, I'll be out at the East Economy garage about 15 minutes prior to touchdown.  747s tend to land on the north runway, so it will pass right by there.

Um, yeah.  I'm an idiot.  Terminal 2 maybe for a western approach?
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

redsox223

Matt Ottosen

Terminal 2 is actually a pretty good spot.  You're pretty low to the ground and you have a decent view of the north runway.  But, because you are low to the ground there will be a lot of people that can see you as they drive by.  With everyone there along the wall with cameras, expect the cops!

Terminal 3 puts you a little further from the runway, but you are much higher up (depending on what level you choose).  I've never had any police troubles at either Terminal 3 or 4.  The only problem, Terminal 3 is about the midpoint and doesn't offer a great view of the ends of the runways.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Rob Silliman

Term 2 is blocked to the west end of runway 8.  Wx forecast says wind isn't supposed to shift until 3pm.

Chris and I are out at buckeye n sky harbor circle.