HDR Experimentation

Started by Jeff D. Welker, July 09, 2012, 09:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

I recently downloaded the lasted version of Photomatix Pro's HDR software. I've been experimenting and wanted to get some feedback. These two images show what I consider to be two ends of the HDR spectrum. That being said, you can walk on the wild side way more than I have here. My efforts thus far have been to explore high dynamic range post processing to see if I can enhance a "normal" image and keep if from looking HDR. I also wanted to feed the 1960's side of my brain and explore a more radical approach to see what artistic possibilities exist. I'd love your feedback. As the scientist say, more study is required :D

Quasi Normal

Wild Child
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

The halo-ing on the "wild child" shot is pretty severe, but that seems to come with the territory on extreme HDR images.  Other than that, both are strong, compelling images made even more interesting through the processing. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

BillOz

I really like the Wild Child image more, with the understanding it was meant to be an image, not so much a photo.  I think people get too caught up in the "it doesn't look realistic" with how some people alter what is meant to be an HDR image.  I don't have an issue with that.  In fact, more and more, I'd rather see some level of image manipulation, because otherwise everything looks the same from all five guys lining the fence, and I'm pretty bored with that, even being one of the five guys at the fence.

To me, these aren't what HDR is about, but more of complex image manipulation.  To me, HDR is more just getting a much larger range of exposure, through combined lower and higher exposure shots.  Not that it really matters how one gets to where the image is, just an observation of interpretation on definition.

One question though.  Are these mutli-frame shots combined, or simply a single frame manipulated?
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Chris V

I like them both, #2 the most! Jeff I am assuming you HDR'd this off a single shot correct? That would explain the halo effect on #2. Shooting a moving target isn't really the best for a bracketed burst but if shooting a static object then you can shoot a manual bracket sequence from extremely under exposed all the way up to way over exposed, usually 9 or 10 shots total. Then combine those into a HDR and it will really eliminate the halo effect.

So as for your processing did you do any in Photomatix or was it all with other programs after the merge? Would be curious to know the work flow on this one.

Joe Copalman

Good info on the origins of the halo, Chris.  That's my only beef with shot #2.  Other than that, it's gorgeous. 

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Chris V

Jeff, my only beef would be to try and bring some of the natural light/reflection back to the canopy area. Still great the way it is though!!

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: BillOz on July 09, 2012, 11:59:52 AM
One question though.  Are these mutli-frame shots combined, or simply a single frame manipulated?

Thanks for the comments Bill, this is a single image that is tone mapped in Photomatix Pro.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Chris V on July 09, 2012, 12:08:21 PM
I like them both, #2 the most! Jeff I am assuming you HDR'd this off a single shot correct? That would explain the halo effect on #2. Shooting a moving target isn't really the best for a bracketed burst but if shooting a static object then you can shoot a manual bracket sequence from extremely under exposed all the way up to way over exposed, usually 9 or 10 shots total. Then combine those into a HDR and it will really eliminate the halo effect.

So as for your processing did you do any in Photomatix or was it all with other programs after the merge? Would be curious to know the work flow on this one.

Appreciate the feedback Chris. As noted in my response to Bill, I used Photomatix Pro to tone map the single image and then did some minor work in LR/PS - an experiment in progress. One of my next experiments will be to used LR to create numerous "Virtual Copies" of the single image and then edit each one to create +/- exposure difference and see if I can get a handle on the halos. Photomatix has a similar feature that I've yet to become familiar with. We will see what happens. I'll post my future results  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Joe Copalman on July 09, 2012, 10:00:57 AM
The halo-ing on the "wild child" shot is pretty severe, but that seems to come with the territory on extreme HDR images.  Other than that, both are strong, compelling images made even more interesting through the processing. 

Love the "wild child" moniker for #2 Joe. These HDR images are certainly something one does to taste, and like any chef, occasionally I put too much seasoning in the pot. Regarding HDR and specifically image #2, another acquaintance remarked that he has never really been a fan of the Jimi Hendrix style of HDR, but he does love his music - certainly a personal thing. I'll keep playing and see what comes out of the oven  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: BillOz on July 09, 2012, 11:59:52 AM
I'd rather see some level of image manipulation, because otherwise everything looks the same from all five guys lining the fence, and I'm pretty bored with that, even being one of the five guys at the fence.

Sir William; I've always enjoyed seeing the different images and interpretations that come from those 5 guys at the fence. Gratefully, many of us have differing visions and interpretations of the exact same event - that is a big part of the fun for me. Sometimes my images make me wonder if I was at Woodstock or standing on a ladder next to Joe, you, Jack, and Paul at Willie ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Paul Dumm

Quote from: Jeff Welker on July 09, 2012, 03:26:40 PM
Sometimes my images make me wonder if I was at Woodstock or standing on a ladder next to Joe, you, Jack, and Paul at Willie

That sounds like a song from the 70's  ;D
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tucson Photographer

Hi Jeff. I experiment with HDR as well, but I use NIK HDR Efex Pro (boy, that's a mouthful!) They've just come out with a version "2". I understand that the results from the new version can be very realistic, rather than HDRish. If and when I upgrade I'll let you know.
And for the record, I think that Wild Child looks fantastic. And I completely agree with BillOz. HDR is just another tool to make a photo yours.

Matt Ottosen

I use Photomatix Pro 4.2 for HDR, and I am very pleased with it.  I have been using Photomatix Pro for many years.  Here are a few of my latest HDRs.

Boeing C-17A Globemaster III

Lockheed KC-130T Hercules

Lockheed KC-130T Hercules
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.