Image Backup/Storage Strategies & Solutions

Started by Jeff D. Welker, June 21, 2012, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

To all my AzAP brothers; I am currently running a 27" iMac for my primary PP workstation. It has a 250GB SSD internal HD for my applications and a 1TB SATA internal HD for image storage. I've recently added LaCie 2TB external HD for back up. In the next year, I'm going to have a customized MacPro for my PP workstation and want to have an external image storage and backup solution in place before I bring the new workstation online. Back-up and storage strategies (hardware & software) are definitely not my strong suit. I'm looking for help, pointers, suggestions, links, and recommendations.

I want to get this right and I am willing to consider all options.

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

PS - I've been trying to use Apple's Time Machine application to manage my backups to the LaCie 2TB external HD with no joy. Any help becoming proficient with Time Machine or some other backup management software is also a priority.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

FelipeG

Where are you getting stuck with the Time Machine? I use it and might be able to help you.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: FelipeG on June 21, 2012, 07:26:34 PM
Where are you getting stuck with the Time Machine? I use it and might be able to help you.

The first time I used Time Machine, it did the backup great. I admit it took a few hours; however, I expected that for the first time. Unfortunately, the next time it was scheduled (not by me, by itself) to perform a backup, it just kept running for hours and hours. I went into the Time Machine "set-up" display and could not get it to stop or pause - the little clock wheel just kept turning and turning. I eventually had to shut down the LaCie external HD to make Time Machine stop the backup. It was my expectation that after the first/initial backup, Time Machine would periodically (daily ?) do its thing and each backup would be fairly short and easy.

I recently updated my OS to 10.7.4 and wondered if that might be causing some issues; however, I'm just not technically proficient to know one way or another.

Sorry for the rambling.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

FelipeG

Did you try more times to see if it happened? I recall having one or two backups hiccuped, but in general has worked fine. Now, I still haven't updated to 10.7, so I don't know if that might have something to do with it.

Dave S.

Jeff,

I've taken a different route for my backup routine.  I'm currently using Backblaze for my backup services.  I checked into a number of the backup/cloud services, and this one seemed to fit my needs the best.  The one big factor I do like is the fact that it's an offsite/cloud backup, geographically separate from my computer.

I've thought about setting up Time Machine, but as yet I've not poked that hornets nest.

Hope this helped, at least a wee little bit.

- Dave
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Chris V

Anyone had any experience with Synology? I've had this on my want list for a bit but haven't gotten it yet. Basically a backup but also works as a stand alone server / cloud. This is one I was looking at and they have ones with more bays. But for me twin 2 or 3 TB HD's with suffice for now.

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Network-Attached/dp/B005YW7OLM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3KBH5GEFSGOYA&colid=2J714X8QOB2GU

Next step up here.

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS411J/dp/B0049MPQGS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=IF5XSNILLURNL&colid=2J714X8QOB2GU

Jay Beckman

Just a sidebar to the issue of storage...

I've seen a few reports lately where folks have had drive failures in RAID systems (Drobo, etc...) and the common culprit seems to be WD Green Caviar drives.  Early theory: "Green" drives cheat and save energy by dropping to 5400rpm whenever they feel like it and that impacts their I/O reliability.

The interesting twist: When the problem drives were removed from an array and used stand alone, they seem to work fine.  Just something about pairs, trios, four packs of these drives that cause the hiccups.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

FelipeG

Thanks for letting us know about that, I got a single Caviar Green in my Drobo right now and it works fine, since I need to expand, I will probably have to get 1 or 2 more drives so I can swap that one out and use it as a standalone external.