News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Shooting helicopters

Started by scottcolbath, May 18, 2012, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottcolbath

So the Apaches will be arriving tomorrow at Wickenburg. I've not really spent any time shooting choppers. I'm sure the noon light will be just awesome.  ::)

How slow do I want to go on the shutter speed? I'm guessing the rotor on a helicopter rotates much slower than the prop of a FWA.

And would slow approaching choppers require image stabilization in mode 1 or 2 on my Canon glass? It seems to be a sort of grey area.

S.C.

BillOz

I would try to go down to 1/125 at least for some shots.  If those come out well, you may go even slower, but the difference in blur will be minimal until you go way slow, like 1/30, which could be real tough to get good shots.

You may want to try a few slow shutter shots if you have the chance with getting lots of time on the choppers.  Also you may want to shoot some at higher shutters, to insure you get some shots.

As for the Mode 1 or 2 on the image stabilizaton, when they are coming towards you use Mode 1, and even if they are moving from left to right or right to left, if they are not moving very fast.  If you are really panning, then change to mode 2.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

scottcolbath

Chris Janes

I turn the IS off even for helicopters unless they are static and not moving.

scottcolbath

T-Bird Fan, I left it on and got some sharp shots, but I will surely experiment next time I shoot choppers.

S.C.

Chris Janes

Cool I'll have to revist using the IS