Where's my Spitfire? Uh, I buried it. Yeah, that's it. I buried it.

Started by scottcolbath, April 17, 2012, 01:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

Love this story.  Amazing that they're still in their shipping crates.  Probably in much better condition than all those MiGs that Saddam buried.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

BillOz

That is pretty interesting.  Hopefully they weren't buried too deep, or those crates may have been crushed by the weight of the dirt piled on top.

It will be interesting to see the outcome.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Chris Kennedy

There's been a lot of discussion on some of the warbird sites about this. Some people don't believe that what has been found are actually the "missing" Spitfires. The article says that they looked at the crates and they look good. They apparently haven't actually seen what is inside.

Of those that think they are really there, most seem to think there won't be much left of any aircraft after 60 years, even if they are in crates. Of course, with enough money, it's possible to re-construct almost anything.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Jay Beckman

Most of the articles I've seen say the Spits were never even assembled so they were buried in greased wrappings and such straight from the factory.

I think Glacier Girl suffered far worse crush damage under 100' of ice (no crate) than the Spits might suffer under a few feet of dirt (in crates.)

In any event, it's certainly the best aviation archeology story since Glacier Girl.  Makes you wonder if the stories of underground German storage may be more accurate than people think!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.