Sonic boom from air show jets rattles Tucson area

Started by Matt Ottosen, April 13, 2012, 07:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ottosen

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- A sonic boom during practice from an upcoming air show at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base broke some windows in homes and businesses in Tucson.

Authorities say the incident was reported about 2:45 p.m. Friday in the midtown area as aircraft practiced for Thunder and Lightning Over Arizona 2012 open house.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Sonic-Boom-Shatters-windows-in-Tucson-147398005.html
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Chris Kennedy

It must have been one of the T'birds. Not like them to make a mistake like that.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Joe Copalman

Has this been confirmed?  None of the Tucson guys have sounded off on a sonic boom yet.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

cpasley

according to the news page that it was comfirmed and they are taking damage claims

Chris Kennedy

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

Chris Kennedy

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

Joe Copalman

I would not put it beyond the quiet skies kooks down there to break their own windows and blame it on the Air Force.

To clarify, I believe there was a sonic boom now that people who were there confirmed it. 

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

F-16_fixer

I was driving home from work and was right under them and didn't hear a damn thing.   :-\  Even had the doors and the top off the Jeep.  Oh well.
-Chris-

BillOz

Well they do advertise the show as "Thunder and Lightning"

From the video,"... The U.S. Navy has confirmed it was 6 F-16's that caused al this damage".

I don't recall in their routine where all 6 are going very fast.  I expect it was just the one trying to rejoin with others or during the high speed pass.  Man if it was all 6 going supersonic, that would be awesome.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

MuseumAndy

I and I think I can safely say we, did not hear a sonic boom down by Valencia and Wilmont.

Chris Janes

That's AWESOME!!!
Wish my glass was broken..Rather than the Air Force pay for it I would want to meet the pilot(s) shake his/her hand(s) have the team sign and date the glass and frame it.

phantomphan1974

Wow, this is so surprising that this happened.  Hard to believe.
Damon Duran
Co: Founder: Aviation Photographers of Southern California www.ApSoCal.com
Orange County Sheriff PSR-Air Support Unit Photographer

FelipeG

I thought the Mythbusters proved that the boom could not break a window

F-16_fixer

As cool as it it to us aviation freaks it is bad news for DM and the 162FW here in Tucson.  This town already hates the military and our "loud" aircraft and they are doing everything they can to stop the F-35 from coming here.  This is just more fuel for their fire unfortunately.
-Chris-

Joe Copalman

^Which is why I wouldn't put it past some of those people to break their own windows.

I used to have an "I ♥ Airplane Noise" sticker on my car, and someone took what had to be a pretty decent amount of time to destroy it with a key.  Those people are serious nutjobs. 

Anyone remember when Carefree successfully bullied the FAA into changing ingress/egress routes for Sky Harbor?  NUT.  JOBS.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ