1961 - 2023

Main Menu

ACC Announces Demo Team Cuts

Started by Jay Beckman, December 01, 2011, 11:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Beckman

And the hits just keep on coming...  :'(

Airshow Buzz LINK

Cliff Notes: F-16 E/W, A-10 E/W, F-15E Demos cut.  TBirds and one F-22 team remain.

Guess the Heritage Conference at DM just got a lot smaller...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

BillOz

Oh, this really sucks.  I go to the Airshows more for the demo teams than the T-Birds.

Only place to get some real flying, instead of just takeoffs and landings.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Jay Beckman

Can't confirm this yet but I did see a passing reference via someone's FB stream (a note from one of the Viper crew chiefs) that there will still be ACC support for Heritage Flights.

Don't know if this means one lone F-16 will be available or if there will be wider support.  Guess we'll find out if/when they have HFC at DM next year.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Chris Janes

Given the recent history of the F-22, I wouldn't get to excited about seeing that demo either...Unfortunate.

Joe Copalman

Yeah, the article states the T-Birds, F-22, and Heritage Flight are all being sustained.  

My hunch is this isn't strictly budget related.  Every branch is gearing up for a fight to justify their need for all the F-35s they have on order, and teams that showcase the effectiveness of legacy platforms work against that.  If the A-10, F-15E, and F-16 are such potent and effective war machines, why are we spending all this money we don't have on the F-35?  

Also, this isn't entirely a bad thing.  Look at the CSAR demo at D-M in 2010 or the scramble/dogfight demo at Nellis last month.  These are local assets showing locals what THEIR military is doing FOR THEM.  With no more single-ship demo teams in the mix, I'm hopeful we'll see an increase in this kind of stuff, and that it will give military air shows more diversity, instead of all of them being more or less carbon copies of one another, with maybe 1 or 2 acts changing from one to the other.  
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Chris Janes

cpasley

Jay Beckman

Just saw an announcement through their Facebook page that the west coast C-17 demo team is also standing down...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Rumor Mill through folks in the vicinity of March ARB say C-17 demo is now back on.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

Rumor Mill was wrong.  From the Demo team's facebook page today: "The rumors of WCDT's reincarnation are greatly exaggerated. Sorry, we're done. We had a great run."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

*SIGH* Saw That...

Well, they're giving away their 2012 Patches at least.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

cpasley

Now them saying "their done" im confused, I thought the demo teams were just standing down this season, with them 'possibly' being reactivated for 2013, or am I wrong and the long lived air force single ship demo's over for good

Jay Beckman

Guess we'll know after January 20th, 2013...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Chris Pasley on February 14, 2012, 01:16:17 PM
Now them saying "their done" im confused, I thought the demo teams were just standing down this season, with them 'possibly' being reactivated for 2013, or am I wrong and the long lived air force single ship demo's over for good

That was with the ACC demo teams.  C-17s are AMC.  (And am I on crazy-pills, or were previous C-17 demos flown by AETC birds out of Altus?).

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Daniel DeSart

Quote from: Joe Copalman on February 14, 2012, 02:45:23 PM
Quote from: Chris Pasley on February 14, 2012, 01:16:17 PM

That was with the ACC demo teams.  C-17s are AMC.  (And am I on crazy-pills, or were previous C-17 demos flown by AETC birds out of Altus?).

They were.