Finally made it to the F-86 crash site

Started by F-16_fixer, June 06, 2011, 08:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F-16_fixer

I posted a while back about an F-86 on Mt. Lemmon that crashed back in 1957.  I finally got the time to go find it today.  It was pretty tough to get to but was well worth it!  Here is a shot of the engine where it's been sitting for 54 years!  There are small bits and pieces of the plane all over.  Was definitely worth the hike in to see it.

-Chris-

Joe Copalman

Sweet!  This is one of the crash sites Trey Brandt wrote about in his book.  Glad you were able to get out there.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Cool find Chris. When I was younger and weighed much less than I do now, I used to hike into some of the old crash sites in AZ. Great photo and excellent effort.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Chuck Mitchell

Dang Chris!
What a find, you did good!

Chuck
Tucson

scottcolbath

Jay Beckman

Wow...

Didn't know there was a site that was still so "intact"

Nice Job!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Jay Beckman on June 07, 2011, 12:50:47 PM
Wow...

Didn't know there was a site that was still so "intact"

Nice Job!

Jay, there are quite a few with pieces of wreckage large enough to allow easy type-identification.  There's an F-104 crash out near Gila Bend with most of the tail still intact.  I believe that is out near or on the Goldwater Range. 

Also, I read up on the crash of this F-86D that Chris shot - it was a mid-air with another Sabre Dog.  Both pilots ejected, with this aircraft crashing on Mt. Lemmon and the other one righting itself and flying all the way to Truth-or-Consequences, New Mexico on its own before crashing in a field.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Those "ghost flights" kind of creep me out...

Tales of B-17s landing in England on their own? <Shudder>
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Joe Copalman

Just read one recently about a B-57 that was hit over South Vietnam and flew out over the Gulf of Tonkin so the crew could eject, which they did safely.  Then the aircraft made a very slow turn back toward land.  Another B-57 tried to shoot it down, but the Canberra's guns were canted and boresighted for strafing, so the guy never came close.  The bird wound up crashing into a populated area in Danang and killing 15 or so people. 

Ever want to read spooky stuff, check out Chris Hobson's "Vietnam Air War Losses."  So many instances of aircraft just disappearing - especially the tactical recce and maritime patrol birds.  Many accounts of aircrew making it safely to the ground and being in communication with rescue forces, only to never be heard from again.  Another thing I found noteworthy was that the 354th FS (D-M's "Bulldogs") lost over 60 aircraft during the war (mostly F-105s, but quite a few F-4s later in the war as well).  Looking over the stats, I think only a few FAC squadrons and the 1st SOS lost more fixed-wing aircraft.  I think the 20th TASS lost over 100 aircraft!

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

F-16_fixer

Thanks everyone.  I really didn't take a whole lot of photos at the actual site.  What you see is pretty much all that is left other than little bits and pieces everywhere.  Over the years people have removed sovereigns from the site so the engine will be the only thing left... assuming someone doesn't come up with some devious plan on taking that too.  It is a fun and challenging hike and when you get there be sure to pat the engine on the back and tell it thank you for your service.   ;D
-Chris-

Chris Janes

QuoteDidn't know there was a site that was still so "intact"

On the southwest side of Mt. Graham there is either a B-17 or B-24 that crashed. I'm thinking it's a B-17.  The wing and some of the tail can be seen from the air. Looks like there is a debris field as well.