Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (AZA, KIWA, IWA) "Willie"

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 12, 2009, 05:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ottosen

Lockheed Martin C-130J-30 Super Hercules
146th Airlift Wing (146 AW)
Modular Airborne FireFighting System (MAFFS)

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jeff D. Welker

A haboob engulfed KIWA a little before 1:00 PM today causing three Hornets from VFA-97 to abort their takeoff and return to the ramp. As you can see, it got fairly intense and dark enough to turn on the taxiway/runway lights.

HABOOB WARHAWKS
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on July 12, 2013, 08:36:31 PM
Hope your camera is ok!

Let's just say I did not change lenses during this festival of dirt; nor did I face my lens into the wind. I did spend 45-minutes de-sanding my 5D3 when I got home  ;D

Here is one I took of the Hornets jockeying for position on the ramp. I'm not sure if these pilots ever flew missions from land bases in Afghanistan or Iraq, but they sure got a dose of similar conditions today.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Tower Guy

Never thought that a Haboob would enhance a photo but these are outstanding Jeff. Looks like they are operating in the middle east instead of E. Mesa.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on July 13, 2013, 01:07:46 PM
Never thought that a Haboob would enhance a photo but these are outstanding Jeff. Looks like they are operating in the middle east instead of E. Mesa.

Quote from: Matt Ottosen on July 13, 2013, 09:25:10 AM
Very nice shot, Mr. Welker!

Thanks Harvey & Matt. I just got plain lucky with the weather and photography yesterday. I had intended to visit Yuma for the 513's farewell; however, a client wanted a meeting Friday morning that killed the trip. My visit to Willie was a last minute decision. After the dust and rain passed, a C-130 from the Wyoming ANG departed with all their MAFFS support gear and headed for Cheyenne. There was still tons of cloud cover and the light was marginal at best. Because of the storm the Herc departed 12R and I took a few obligatory images to practice my slow shutter speed panning as it rolled past my position. When I was processing some of the images today, low and behold I found vapor coming off the props - something I simply did not expect to ever see at Willie  ;D  ;D  ;D

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Northrop F-5F Franken-Tiger
Marine Fighter Training Squadron 401 (VMFT-401) "Snipers"

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

azspyder