15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (AZA, KIWA, IWA) "Willie"

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 12, 2009, 05:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

CLEAN SLATE

This 767 shot touch-and-goes on 30R for well over 90 minutes today.  He flew a pretty tight pattern as well, turning far more aggressively than I'm used to seeing airliners turn.  
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

VFA-147 ARGONAUTS

The LTJG Bruce Carrier award is named after an aviator who experienced a tragic list of misfortunes during what should have been a routine flight off the coast of the Philippines.

In 1975, LTJG Carrier's A-4 Skyhawk had a hydraulic failure as he returned to the deck of the USS Hancock. Unable to lower his flaps, the Air Boss decided that it was too dangerous to land aboard the aircraft carrier and instructed LTJG Carrier to divert to nearby NAS Cubi Point. During the divert, he was unable to get his right landing gear down, and was told to return to the ship to land. While trying to refuel during his return trip back to the aircraft carrier, the A-4's refueling probe broke off, leaving him without enough fuel to make it to the ship. Without any other options, he attempted to eject, however the ejection mechanism failed. Finally, LTJG Carrier was told to climb as high as possible and bail out, but unfortunately he ran out of fuel and was killed when his aircraft crashed into the ocean.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

bilwor

Nice shot Steve,  having your subject static and background  moving
bill
bill word
Tucson, AZ

azspyder

Thank you Bill...it was something a little different.

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

As I've said elsewhere Steven, heck of an image. The yin versus the yang. Two supersonic speed merchants perfectly static with a relative toad (velocity wise) flashing past almost balistically - a combination of unique elements not often seen more typical aviation images.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

azspyder

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

bilwor

Nice catch Steve, you never know what will come into Willie.
bill
bill word
Tucson, AZ

azspyder

Barry Griffiths

Barry Griffiths
Tucson, Arizona & Waterloo, Ontario