News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

Improving your photos

Started by Lynn Evans, April 07, 2011, 01:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to get CONSTRUCTIVE criticism on your posted photos, and by what method?

Yes by post
7 (58.3%)
Yes by pm
3 (25%)
No
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: May 07, 2011, 01:11:28 PM

Lynn Evans

I am always open to improving my photography. If you have critiques that will help me, you can post, pm me or both. I can take suggestions meant in a constructive manner. I will ignore anything that is not meant to be helpful. How about you?
Lynn Evans

Jeff D. Welker

Lynn:

Super topic. I joined AzAP precisely because it had the word "Photographers" in its title. I'm always open to constructive C&C and have already benefited from the expertise of AzAP's veteran aviation photogs. I voted for receiving C&C via posts so others could also read and benefit. While PM would also work, it would only get to a particular AzAP member and its effect limited. Every time I post, I'm hoping for some feedback that goes beyond the pleasant (and appreciated) "nice shot".
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Lynn Evans

I included the pm option because some may be hesitant about an open critique. I was recalling my start in photography when communicating with much more experienced shooters.
Lynn Evans

Jay Beckman

I personally have to qualms about giving or receiving critiques via open post and I welcome any comments or questions.
I would, however, strongly suggest that any feedback start with the phrase "In My Opinion..."

Despite the fact that we tend to migrate as a herd to many of the same outings / events and we can sometimes end up with very similar looking shots, we rarely if ever capture the exact same shot.  There is much subjectivity involved with how we view aviation (and life in general for that matter) and once you throw in a crop, some processing and how you choose to present the image (faux matte, faux frame, watermarking or not, etc) it moves your vision even farther away than the collective hive mind.

Why we chose to shoot something is a much harder thing on which to comment than how something was shot.  The how can start to get a little slippery as well though when you factor in such things as monitor calibration (or lack of it), color space, final resolution (how hard did you have to crop?) and actual size of the image on screen.

I would also suggest that truly "in depth" critiques be limited to the "Critique" section so as to not clog up the image threads with excessive banter.

Just my $0.02 worth...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Lynn Evans

Jay you are terrific. You have "critiqued" my first ever poll anywhere in a manner that makes it so much better than I thought of. Thank you!!
Lynn Evans

Jeff D. Welker

Very interesting and thoughtful comments Jay. I agree with your suggestion that folks wanting C&C should keep those posts in the "Critique" section. I also think it would be helpful if the person seeking C&C would be as specific as possible - thus helping to keep potential respondents on point. I have been guilty more than once of posting a photo and throwing out a very general request for comment. I would have been better served if I better articulated exactly what I had "hoped for" in my image. A line of AzAP folks at Coolidge can take a photo of the same aircraft and have completely dissimilar visions of the final image. Of course, even the initial vision can change later during post processing or simply after some time has past and our minds have been liberated from the original constraints of "the moment".

Maybe it would be helpful to have some guidelines posted as a sticky at the top of the Critique section to help guide these types of posts. What exif info to include? What was your vision? What feeling are you trying to convey? How could the image be cropped to better convey "the" vision. What post processing options might help? How to avoid "over-the-top" post processing (i.e. over saturation, extra crispy sharpening, etc). How something as simple or complicated as changing the f/stop (depth of field) could improve an image?

Finally, we are all evolving at some rate in our individual photographic journeys. That evolution is based in part on our intended goal(s). I also think it would be helpful for folks to post in the Critique section how they may have changed their personal vision or style recently and why. The expression of thoughts from one member could easily inspire another.

I'll see Jay's 2-cents and raise it to a nickel  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

A well rounded critique is nearly impossible without some details in terms of equipment and settings...

Camera
Lens
Shutter Speed
Aperture
ISO
Processing Software
Processing Steps (Crop, Sharpening, etc)

Should all be included so that people can make well-informed suggestions.

I would also suggest that folks give their potential benefactors a fighting chance by posting an image that's at least 800X if not 1024X.
If you're not comfortable with images this big online, I suggest you watermark them appropriately.  As you can see from my posts, the AzAP Logo works very nicely in Lightroom.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

BillOz

In my opinion, all this is good, if kept to the critique threads.

Whether you're a beginner, novice, amateur, intermediate, expert, or a professional, someone else may have some beneficiary advice, but I don't want to see it in every thread, about every photo, whether requested or not.   Even when I see what are in my opinion, less than quality photos, which shouldn't have even been posted, I don't want to hear what someone else would do to make them better, unless the person asked for advice, and did it in a critique thread.

Personally I don't even like to see too many comments which exclaim, "Good Shot", "Great Shot", "Awesome Shot", when the shot is mediocre at best.  Sure, it's all in the eye of the beholder, so I must believe some people making these claims are half blind.   If there are so many "Awesom Shot"s, why don't they get nominated for Photo of the Month?

The Critique section is there for this reason, the whole forum shouldn't be overtaken with critiquing.  If you want a shot critiqued, put it in the Critique thread, don't ask for C&C in a regular thread.   It gets the thread off track of the original intent, which was photos.

Some commenting on shots is fine, but I don't visit this site to read everyone's faux praise, but more to see their "Great Shots".

Before asking for critique, even in the proper thread, look closely at the photo you are about to post, and give a critique on it as though it was posted by someone else.

If I've offended you then you're exactly who I'm posting to.  If not, then you must know what I mean, even if you don't agree with my bluntness.
With this post, I expect I'll never see another "Great Shot" posted about any of my shots, and I won't be disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are some excellent photos on this site, and take great enjoyment in seeing the work posted by most everyone.  It allows me to live vicariously through the "Great Shot"s.  For that I am thankful.  I also think the Critiquing is a great resource, I just don't like the idea of the whole Forum becoming a Critquing exercise.

As always, the opinions I express are solely my own, and should not be taken as a reflection of the opinions of AZAP or any other members, therefore should only be held against me.

Therfore I voted No, but wish there was a category for Critique Threads only.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Jay Beckman

This is the Critique section, isn't it?

I would think individuals can start a thread for whatever image they'd like to have worked over, no?

Well said Bill.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Lynn Evans

Good post Bill. I did not intend that any critiques be anywhere other than the Critique thread. I apologize if I gave that impression.
Lynn Evans

Joe Copalman

Lynn, thanks for getting this discussion started.

I'm honestly open to critique via almost any outlet, the big thing with me is just that people are open to receiving it, and that people are polite and constructive about giving it.  I'd certainly like to see the critique thread used more often though.  

My personal pet peeve is dust spots.  They represent either an inattention to or a disregard for detail that has no place in this forum outside of a discussion on how to prevent them or clone them out.  While I agree with Jay that it's best to approach giving critique as one' s opinion, dust spots are really one of those items that transcend individual opinion and universally represent bad technique.  Horizons can be tilted for artistic effect, shots can be over- or under-exposed to create drama, color can be deliberately over-saturated for whatever purpose, but I have never seen a shot marked with dust spots that looked as if the spots were part of the photographer's vision.  I've been slacking on adding a new set of threads in the tips/tricks section that individually address common problems with photos, such as dust spots, leveling, over-saturation, too-sharp/too-soft issues, etc.  The goal is provide resources for photographers who may be struggling with one or two components of their images to put to use in improving their shooting and/or editing techniques.  Lots of irons in the fire right now, but this is certainly something I should get rolled out here in the near future.

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

bilwor

Yes I am open to any critique that will help me improve my technique, processing or any tips for better photography. You are never too old to learn, the problem is to remember to use them.
bill word
bill word
Tucson, AZ