Luke AFB Auxiliary Airfield AUX-1

Started by scottcolbath, March 02, 2011, 01:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottcolbath

Anyone ever gone out there to shoot? They do instrument approach training. I wonder if there are any good photo ops out there.

S.C.

Jay Beckman

According to a blurb I found while searching, they practice PAR approaches there (ground controlled ILS profiles .. both pilots and controllers) and looking at Google Earth, the runways have big Xs on them so if they're using it at all, they probably only fly to a published missed approach altitude and then break it off.

The question is, how low is the hard deck for the approach?  They may be using 2500' AGL as "Sea Level" and if the miss is at 800', they're still 3100' MSL when they terminate the approach.

Your neck of the woods though so it's certainly worth investigating I think.  Looks like 233rd Ave dead ends just on the other side of the canal at the NW end and 211th Ave wraps around the SE end (although you may be too close for Volvo's comfort there...)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

scottcolbath

Yup, I'll head out some time soon for a look. Who knows? Maybe it will be a great place to shoot.

S.C.

wingsnstuff

I go out here often to shoot sunsets.  The road ends right at the Aux Field.  I've only gone in the late afternoon so haven't seen them shooting missed approaches, but my brother-in-law lives in Witman and says they're pretty low when they blast by his house.  The road ends just past the Volvo test track and is dirt the rest of the way.  If they're flying low there certainly is no obstructions to block your view.

scottcolbath

Quote from: wingsnstuff on March 02, 2011, 07:50:56 PM
I go out here often to shoot sunsets.  The road ends right at the Aux Field.  I've only gone in the late afternoon so haven't seen them shooting missed approaches, but my brother-in-law lives in Witman and says they're pretty low when they blast by his house.  The road ends just past the Volvo test track and is dirt the rest of the way.  If they're flying low there certainly is no obstructions to block your view.

I'd have no issues getting out there on my "ATV"  8)

S.C.