Heritage Flight Training Conferance

Started by Joel Hamm, February 14, 2011, 11:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Joel Hamm

Joe Copalman

I might head down for that Friday.  Last year was a bit frustrating with the inconsistent runway use, but I still got some good shots.   
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Paul Dumm

I also was planning on going down there on Firday, just need to find a place to meet up.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

cpasley

I can make Friday as well ,be nice if can carpool ,I can drive ,wont ask for gas cause im cool like that ,if interested message me

Jeff D. Welker

For newbies like myself, what is the Heritage Flight Training Conference and where is it being held?

Thanks.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Rob Silliman

Quote from: Jeff Welker on February 15, 2011, 07:03:23 AM
For newbies like myself, what is the Heritage Flight Training Conference and where is it being held?

Thanks.

Basically, it is where the Air Force demo teams practice their air show routines, and rehearsal different Heritage flights (fly by's of current air planes w/ warbirds). 

Here is my Flickr set from last year (on Sunday);

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob-the-org/sets/72157623449086221/

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Rob Silliman on February 15, 2011, 07:51:50 AM

Basically, it is where the Air Force demo teams practice their air show routines, and rehearsal different Heritage flights (fly by's of current air planes w/ warbirds). 

Thanks Rob for the info. As a follow-up, is this an on-base deal at DM or is it a matter of positioning off one of the runways? If it is an off-base opportunity, is there one place to setup better than another?
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Rob Silliman

Quote from: Jeff Welker on February 15, 2011, 08:24:29 AM
Quote from: Rob Silliman on February 15, 2011, 07:51:50 AM

Thanks Rob for the info. As a follow-up, is this an on-base deal at DM or is it a matter of positioning off one of the runways? If it is an off-base opportunity, is there one place to setup better than another?

Off-base.  For almost all of these shots, I was on a road on the South side of the base, next to some salvage yards.  It really depends on what you want to catch.  If you want to catch the landings, "Guardrail" is the best.  But you can't easily shift from one location to the other as the aircraft change.

Jeff D. Welker

Thank you sir - I will scheme accordingly.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

You can contact the PAO to arrange on-base access, but you're shooting into the sun pretty much all day long and you're pretty much anchored there. 

Off-base will be mostly recovery shots, as most of the formation flying is done inside the "box" over D-M.  Warbird recoveries are next to impossible, since they turn pretty tight and give you mostly belly-shots from off-base.  The ACC aircraft are all slick, shiny demo birds, no fuel tanks or dummy sidewinders or anything, and the recovery runway changed several times throughout the day last year, often with no regard for the wind direction (arrivals tend to be this way as well). 

Here are my shots from last year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24526864@N03/sets/72157623686105750/.  Pretty much just went down for the F-4s.  Missed two F-4 recoveries though due to being at the wrong end.   

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Quote from: wingsnstuff on February 24, 2011, 03:15:17 PM
 I've never shot from off-base, but I imagine that if you're at the wrong end, it might take some time to navigate to a new position.

Oh yeah.  Probably the greatest frustration last year was when we thought they switched runways, headed to the other end, then missed repeated Phantom fly-bys and landings.  

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

bilwor

Posted on D-M site Friday 02/25/11. Conference dates March 1-6, 2011.
bill word

"http://www.dm.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123244282"
bill word
Tucson, AZ

Ned Harris

F-22 arriving for Heritage Flight Conference. All eight of the east coast demo team aircraft arrived simultaneously over Davis-Monthan AFB at 3:00 pm today.

_MG_8833 F-22 Raptor by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

bilwor

No Heritage flying today as of 3:30pm. I was at wrong end to catch a non D-M C-130 going to AMARG, a C-17 landing  and a C-5 departing. They were using both 12 & 30 when 12 was active runway. Which end to be tomorrow will be a crap-shoot.
bill word
Tucson, AZ

John B.

Quote from: bilwor on March 03, 2011, 03:24:28 PM
No Heritage flying today as of 3:30pm. I was at wrong end to catch a non D-M C-130 going to AMARG, a C-17 landing  and a C-5 departing. They were using both 12 & 30 when 12 was active runway. Which end to be tomorrow will be a crap-shoot.

Quiet today.  But there was some dramatic chatter between the C-5 and tower on its departure!  Otherwise no demo teams or warbirds.