News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Interesting problem and question about El Centro.

Started by Stephen Marshall, September 30, 2010, 02:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Marshall

Well, my Tamron 75-300 finally kicked the bucket. Only two years old and the aperture is stuck closed around F/22.

Because it was such a cheap lens and isn't worth sending in to be fixed I decided to take it apart to see if there was anything I could do. I managed to get to the part where a small motor drives a large gear that operated the aperture and open them again. However when I went to test it out it stopped down to F/9 as I set it to but instead of opening up again it closed to F/22 and stuck there just like before.

What I really want to know, however, is about the El Centro photocall. From photos I've seen it looks like we get pretty close to the runway. Is there a chance that my 18-55mm will be enough for the photocall?
-- I'm Stephen Marshall and I approve this message.  |   Visit my Flickr.

Joe Copalman

Not really.

I've used my 18-55 for some shots there, and I've done alright, but the zone of engagement is really narrow.  45-50mm is really the minimum focal length you'll need there.  If you'd like, you can borrow my 75-300, though I may ask for it back if we get some C-2s or E-2s or other larger aircraft in the pattern.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Paul Dumm

Both photos are at 100mm Next time it's going to be 18-70mm. Take the Best
Ears you can get. Two sets Form and muffs!!!! You are that close.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Stephen Marshall

Joe, I may take you up on that.

I'll work on the ear protection, I have some for shooting but will grab some foam as well.

Paul Dumm

Stephen, If you are going to be out at Coolidge this weekend I'll give you some I got a box full of some good ones.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

Jbong

Quote from: Paul Dumm on September 30, 2010, 04:16:52 PM
Stephen, If you are going to be out at Coolidge this weekend I'll give you some I got a box full of some good ones.

if your selling I will buy a set.

Paul Dumm

The Form one's??  I be more then happy to GIVE you some.

Jay Beckman

Just as a point of reference, this was shot at 70mm on a 5D (full frame) so you you can see that, yeah, we're kinda close at EC:

EDIT: This was cropped by about 1/3 so balance that against the 1.6X "crop" of an APS-C body...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

cpasley

Sorry Stephen if im replying off topic but I havent considered the ear protection issue for El Centro and wanted some feedback from someone whos been there ,so are those foam things ok ,do they work ok or are those heavy duty headphone style ones required ,I mean I dont have super sensative hearing ,front row at tons of metal concerts have ensured that ,im just not sure how LOUD it will actually get

Paul Dumm

Chris, Put the from ones in Then the muffs over the ears YOU NEED BOTH!!! you are about 35 to 50yards form an F/A-18 at FULL AB'S or damn close to it. Look at my first photo.

Joe Copalman

Yup.  Foam plugs and cheapo shooters' muffs should suffice for anything we'd encounter.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

I've got a pair of shooters muffs by Remington from Bass Pro Shop and they had the biggest dB reduction I could find at a retail store.

I wear in ears under them as well.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Stephen Marshall

Yea, I plan on wearing both foam and ear muffs at El Centro.

Paul, I'd love to grab the ear pro from ya. See you at Coolidge.

Joe, if your going to be at Coolidge would you mind if I tried out your 75-300? Unless of course you plan to use it, certainly don't mean to steal it from ya.

Jbong

Quote from: Stephen Marshall on September 30, 2010, 09:13:08 PM
Yea, I plan on wearing both foam and ear muffs at El Centro.

Paul, I'd love to grab the ear pro from ya. See you at Coolidge.

Joe, if your going to be at Coolidge would you mind if I tried out your 75-300? Unless of course you plan to use it, certainly don't mean to steal it from ya.

If Joe is not going to be there I will have mine you can try. I will see you out there at Coolidge.

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ