Heber Valley Airport - Russ McDonald Field (36U)

Started by Matt Ottosen, September 22, 2010, 04:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Matt Ottosen

Rylan and I visited an old friend while we were in Heber, Utah last week.  Unfortunately, she was a bit of a sad sight...  Attu Warrior has been grounded for about three years, needs two new props and an annual inspection, her owner, Dave H., has passed away, and she is currently just sitting across from the CAF Utah Wing hangar rotting in the sun and it appears that they don't have any plans for her.  When I asked what the plans were, I was told that the funds currently don't exist to restore her, but at least, they make money off of tickets and people wanting to see her during CAF functions.

I was very sad to see the current state of the aircraft, but I truly hope that someone saves this beautiful warbird in the near future and restores her to flying status.  With only one other example out there flying, people need to see Attu Warrior and learn of the story of the men that flew these great airplanes during World War II out of Attu Island, Alaska.

Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon "Attu Warrior"
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Joe Copalman

What a bummer.  AW is easily one of the best-looking Harpoons out there.  Hopefully someone will find the scratch to get her airborne again.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Joe Copalman on September 22, 2019, 06:59:33 PM
What a bummer.  AW is easily one of the best-looking Harpoons out there.  Hopefully someone will find the scratch to get her airborne again.

The really shitty thing is that not only Dave passed away, but Steve also passed away.  During the CoNA Parade of Planes at North Island in 2011, Steve flew left and Dave flew right, and we lost both of them in 2018...  Dave was the owner, and Steve had been the CAF Utah WIng's Wing Leader.

I truly hope that there is some driving force/motivation to keep Attu Warrior in the air and touring.  She is one of the truly amazing warbird examples that are currently airworthy, and she needs to continue to keep telling her story.

Dave's dream was always to take her up to Alaska and out to Attu Island, he wanted to share her history with the people of Alaska.  This was something that I had been working with him on before he got sick.  I truly hope that his dream for Attu Warrior is something that can happen in the future.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ