News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Office problem

Started by jslugman, September 18, 2010, 01:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jslugman

I've found a source for an up-to-date listing of the airframes at AMARG as of 14SEP2010. The downside is that its organized by airframe and when you click on the link you get a single text file of the aircraft. Not a comma separated value type file, just a text file that's been tabbed to line the columns up.

Anyone know of a way to select this data and import it into Excel? Because of the formatting when you select across the rows it plops it into the very first cell of the spreadsheet which is obviously not what I want.

Thanks in advance.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Chris Kennedy

James,

If the file is tab delimited, you should be able to import it into Excel. I have an old version of Excel, but in mine there is an import wizard that comes up when you open a text file. Select Delimited, and then on the next page, check Tab. If there are extra tabs in the file, this might not work very well though.

If you want to email the file to me (I sent a PM with my email address - I don't like putting it in public forums) I will look at it and make sure it is importable. I have a lot of experience importing text files of different formats.

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

jslugman

For those of you that want to wander through the lists, here's the link to the site offering the updated AMARG list:

http://www.amarc.info/

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

jslugman

Thanks to Chris I was able to (fairly) easily get the provided data into an Excel file. I divided the data into worksheets (Airforce A B and C, Air Force F, etc.) just because that's how my brain works.

If you would like a copy of it shoot me an e-mail. The file is just a bit over 600K. I have not gone over it with a fine-tooth comb, I notice there are still Tomcats listed, odd knowing that the PAO from AMARG released a statement that all but two are now someone's soda pop can. There are some notational/formatting discrepancies but the data is as it is presented to us. I have deleted the LOCATION columns since that information is no longer given. This is not a work of mine but a re-formatting of the info provided by Martyn Swan over at www.amarc.info dated 14SEP2010, he is one of three authors of the AMRAC/MASDC books, volumes two and three available at the Pima ASM.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY