Liberty Belle B-17 at KDVT

Started by Chris Kennedy, September 06, 2010, 11:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Kennedy

Here is a larger version of the overhead photo. Check out the clearance between the number one and number two props. Looks pretty close at this angle.

Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisk48/

Images posted may not be copied or reproduced without permission

Chris Kennedy

Quote from: Chris Pasley on September 06, 2010, 05:32:50 PM
I think I like the Cessna more than that other big plane in your pics

The 140 is almost the same age as the bomber. It was built in 1946.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

Chris Kennedy

Quote from: Chris Kennedy on September 06, 2010, 05:50:38 PM
Check out the clearance between the number one and number two props. Looks pretty close at this angle.

Yes, I know the props don't line up, but the effect at this angle is interesting.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

Bubak

cholubaz

Wow Chris and Cholubaz I just saw on the news that she was in town and come to find all these great pics and cholubaz I think I like the Cessna more than that other big plane in your pics

Thanks Chris yeah 81L is a sweet little plane. I have flown it a few times. It is kept in like new condition.
I sent the pics to Dean the owner of the Cessna 140 and he is going to send them into the 140 club and maybe they will make the next calendar. :-)

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Holub
Peoria, AZ
Pilot flying out of KDVT or KGEU
Flying a 2003 Piper Archer III N354MA (DVT)
or Cessna 172's (KGEU)
Co-Host of the intherpatternpodcast

cholubaz

Quote from: Chris Kennedy on September 06, 2010, 04:36:44 PM
Landing.

Sorry about the background. I asked them to remove the hangars and the parked planes, but they refused. 

No prop blur either. The engines were idling at this point and the props were barely turning.

Unfortunately, these bomber pilots like to put the plane down on the numbers, and those are quite a distance from the observation deck.

Very nice I wish I had stayed out there a little longer to hear those engines roar and see it fly.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Holub
Peoria, AZ
or Cessna 172's (KGEU)

cholubaz

Quote from: Chris Kennedy on September 06, 2010, 05:55:42 PM
I think I like the Cessna more than that other big plane in your pics

The 140 is almost the same age as the bomber. It was built in 1946.

Yeah and Dean went over and asked if they would mind if he taxi hi plane up next to her and get some pics and they didnt mind at all so we took advantage of it.
I have video going up on youtube right now but not of her flying. Just me walking around it.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Holub
Peoria, AZ
or Cessna 172's (KGEU)

cpasley

yeah well you know whats better then one cool plane ,two cool planes

cholubaz

check out the video I just put up on youtube of the Liberty Belle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgvtNmy3004
unfortunately it was just parked and I dont know whats with the over exposure with my camera. I must have forgot to check some settings. The clouds are way to white.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Holub
Peoria, AZ
or Cessna 172's (KGEU)

Jay Beckman

Quote from: cholubaz on September 06, 2010, 02:58:14 PM
I think they are fake.

I'd say they're real rivets...   :D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Chris Kennedy

Getting back to the original reason for this thread, the Liberty Foundation website says they normally fly from 10:00 to 3:00 and then do walk-throughs the rest of the day. It seems like that would allow for a maximum of five flights a day, but that would be moving right along and it obviously depends on how many seats they can sell. It seems to me that when the EAA and then the Collings Foundation were in town, they didn't do more than three a day, if that.

I wouldn't expect them to do much flying before the weekend, unless they have one or more media flights scheduled. They say on their site that it costs $4,500 an hour to fly that beast. Yesterday's flight might have been for area orientation or maybe that was a media flight.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

cholubaz

Quote from: Chris Kennedy on September 07, 2010, 05:55:04 AM
Quote from: cholubaz on September 06, 2010, 02:58:14 PM
I think they are fake. Just saying..
[/url]

"Crew Weight 1200 Lbs" ??

Hmmm 10 guys... I guess you had to be pretty small. I know the ball turret gunner had to be. He would have brought down the average some, but 120 lbs?

Do you mean you think the rivets are fake? No way. Ever heard of Rosie the Riveter? Actually it was kind of tricky doing that because you had to have somebody on the back side of the panel "bucking" the rivet to flatten out that side while the person on the outside hammered on it with an air tool, and they couldn't see (or hear) each other.

Haha no I was just joking about the girl and her chest.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Holub
Peoria, AZ
or Cessna 172's (KGEU)

Jay Beckman

@ Chris1: Yes I know the rivets are real and yes I know how they were constructed.

@ Chris 2: I know what you meant.

;D

When Collings comes to town, they usually fly hops early in the morning and late in the day.  Flying between 10am and 3pm yields awfully uncomfortable conditions for the paying customers.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Chris Kennedy

Guess I'm a little dense today.  :-\  I wonder how accurately that reproduces the original nose art.

For the flight times, I was just going by what they said on their web site, but that isn't specific to this visit.

According to the weather guessers, Saturday at DVT is supposed to be sunny and high near 96 and Sunday also sunny, high near 99. At the time the bomber landed yesterday at 2:35 and it was 102.

I looked back at my photos of the EAA and Collings DVT visits and Collings started flying at 9:00 and EAA at 10:00. I'm pretty sure EAA stopped at noon, but Collings had at least one flight that took off about 1:00. Of course, that was in April. A lot depends on how many paying passengers they have lined up too.
Chris Kennedy
Peoria, AZ

cholubaz

Chris Holub
Peoria, AZ
or Cessna 172's (KGEU)