This may be old news to a lot of you but

Started by F-16_fixer, April 09, 2010, 08:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F-16_fixer

I learned today that there is an F-86 crash site about an hour from my house!  It's up on Mt. Lemmon here in Tucson at 7000ft elevation about a quarter mile off of Butterfield Trail.  Apparently most of the plane is still there including the landing gear and the entire engine.  I plan on hiking up on Monday to get some pictures of the crash site.  If anyone in town wants to join me I'd love to have a wingman in case I get lost in the woods  ;D
-Chris-

Chris V

That sounds like it would be cool but unless its a weekend I can't get out of work right now.

F-16_fixer

And I found this cool little file with all the latitude and longitude coordinates of all the crash sites in AZ.  I may have to break out my GPS and go exploring!

http://www.1af.acc.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-100208-031.pdf
-Chris-

cpasley

I tell ya id love to hike up there to see that ,if I can find a way to get to tucson ill join ya

Joe Copalman

Very cool.  A few years back I picked up Trey Brandt's book "Faded Contrails" about several military air crashes in Arizona through the years.  Trey did A LOT of hard work researching and locating many of the crash sites in AZ, and when possible, has taken survivors or family members out to the crash sites.  Very cool stuff. 

Just took a look in the book and there are several other crash sites in that area - a B-17, a B-50 a B-47, and some AT-17 Bobcats.  The bulk of the wrecks are out on the Goldwater Range (obviously), but pretty much every part of the state has a crash site or two.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

I see at least four Mustangs on the .pdf file.

Far too many GA airframes though!  :o
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

CJPalmer

That would be interesting, I can only go on a weekend though. I know of a B-24 crash on Humphreys Peak. I have been up to the Peak, but I haven't been to the crash site.

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: CJPalmer on April 09, 2010, 10:06:46 PM
I know of a B-24 crash on Humphreys Peak. I have been up to the Peak, but I haven't been to the crash site.

I know the approximate location of this B-24 site, but the one time I looked for it I only found one small piece (about the size of a toaster).
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

cpasley

This a good photo tour of different military crash sites around Arizona I particulary like the F-14 I cant believe how much of the plane still exists (or did at the time these pics were taken)
http://www.aircraftarchaeology.com/search.htm