News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

Sim Geeks?

Started by Joe Copalman, March 31, 2010, 10:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

I picked up FSX last night and have already added quite a few freeware aircraft (of varying quality) to it. 

Any other sim geeks that can recommend some good aircraft to add to my collection?  Freeware preferred, but I'm also open to paying if they're worth it - currently eyeballing AlphaSim's Hawker Hunter and F-106.  As you can probably tell by that selection, I'm into Cold War military stuff.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Stephen Marshall

Hey buddy  ;D

I'm a sim geek of about 11 years now so here's a few things I would recommend:

Systems/programs:
Saitek pro flight yoke / throttles / rudder pedals
FSPassengers x
Acceleration expansion

Aircraft of the cold war era:
Kirk Olsens F-86, which is freeware but of the best payware quality, is a must have.

I can't really think of any other Aircraft to download at the moment since I've found the FSX default aircraft to be amazing and all I really need. Anyway, Alphasim has some good stuff but I don't know much about them myself. I would also recommend looking at: http://www.captainsim.com for payware and http://www.simviation.com for the freeware and excellent Forum.

Let me know if you have any questions!  Its an addicting hobby.
-- I'm Stephen Marshall and I approve this message.  |   Visit my Flickr.

Jay Beckman

Still plodding along with FS9 here.

FWIW, they always release an FS model of the current AOPA Sweepstakes plane.

I have the Cherokee Six from 2006/2007 and it's a gas to "fly."
I understand the Cardinal and Cirrus (?) from '08 and '09 released for FSX are also really well done.

Not military of course but well crafted, full featured and good flight fidelity as well.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Thanks guys.  Stephen, I came across that F-86 last night, I'll have to check it out.  I'm really excited about Tim Conrad's OV-10.  Had a blast shooting sunrise touch-and-goes on RWY5 at Coolidge with it.   

And there is plenty to love among the default aircraft.   

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

F-16_fixer

I have FSX with acceleration pack and the Saitek X56 flight control system and way too many aircraft installed haha. I've probably spend a good year of my life stuck in flight sims
-Chris-

Joe Copalman

I have the old version (circa 1998) of the X36 - one hell of a system, though I didn't have the rudder pedals.  Currently using a Saitek Cyborg, which is sufficiently for just tooling around.  Back when developers actually made combat sims (Janes' F-15 and F-18, DID's EF2000, Microprose's Falcon 4.0, etc) and I was running an adequate-by-the-standards-of-the-day Windows 98 machine.  That Saitek rig is nothing short of amazing.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Stephen Marshall

I've had some issues with durability but I loved my Saitek X45 and my current Pro flight system.   They make some amazing stuff. Have you guys seen the new instrument panels they put out?

Jay Beckman

I was an early Thrustmaster user who later migrated to CH Products and still have Combat Stick, Pro Throttle and Pro Peddals along with a Pro Yoke.

Need to dust them off and try them out one of these days.   :(

I think the most fun I've ever had with any sim was flying guns only Head To Head over the 'net in Falcon 3.  Back in the very early days of the old Prodigy service, we had a very lively Falcon group and we did a lot of "matchmaking" for H2H dogfights as well as "Ladder" tournaments for ultimate Gunsmoke braging rights.

I guess Playstation and X-Box have pretty much killed off any desire by companies to engineer that kind of enjoyment into PC sims anymore.  Damn Shame.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jbong

Quote from: Joe Copalman on March 31, 2010, 10:44:57 AM
I picked up FSX last night and have already added quite a few freeware aircraft (of varying quality) to it. 

Any other sim geeks that can recommend some good aircraft to add to my collection?  Freeware preferred, but I'm also open to paying if they're worth it - currently eyeballing AlphaSim's Hawker Hunter and F-106.  As you can probably tell by that selection, I'm into Cold War military stuff.

Hey Joe I have this.... for sell 50.00 and its yours.

I have had it for less then 6 months. let me know

Stephen Marshall

I was part of a Squad when Combat Flight Simulator was popular on the MSN Zone.  I had a lot of fun with people I met online, just flying, or fighting, or whatever.  Was a great way to pass the time. And as you said, it's a shame that companies have no motivation any more to create such an environment.

jslugman

Anything with floats or skis and the terrain mesh for Alaska. That should keep you busy for, well.... forever.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Joe Copalman

I'm hearing you on floatplanes, James.  I downloaded a Nardi Riviera and it is one of my favorites.  The Sanders-Roe SR-45 is not as sporty, but a solid flier, and just a beautiful aircraft.  Flew from Tahoe to San Francisco in one.  I'll take your advice on the Alaska thing.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Alright, I'm downloading the trial version to check it out.  I'm guessing that this will be something else to spend my money and time on.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.