Scaled Composites Model 348 WhiteKnightTwo (WK2)

Started by Joe Copalman, June 19, 2009, 12:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

Virgin Galactic "White Knight 2" is currently at Gateway.  Not sure when it is leaving, but keep an eye on FlightAware for the outbound flight plan - http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KIWA.

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Joe-

That is really freakin' awesome!  Keep me posted via email, I'll try to come out after work if she's still out there.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Joe Copalman

Heard from a guy who heard from an ops guy that the crew didn't want any photos of it on the cargo ramp and to hold off on posting photos of it on the ground until after it departs, so I've deleted my photo of it on the ground (even though it wasn't on the cargo ramp) to avoid any friction with Gateway ops.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Dave S.

We sort of made the news on this.  Glad I read Joe's post; I was about to post a shot or two.  Nice to see that we all are complying with the request of no pictures of her while on the ground.  Can't wait for her departure.

Here's a link to the article on Azcentral.com (not sure if I'm pasting the link correctly): http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/2009/06/19/20090619mr-whiteknight0620.html

Dave

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Matt Ottosen

Space plane makes forced landing in Mesa Friday

by Art Thomason - Jun. 19, 2009 03:55 PM
The Arizona Republic

Gateway airport spokesman Brian Sexton said WhiteKnight Two departed Mohave, Calif., airport Friday morning and headed to Las Cruces, where Branson plans to base the world headquarters for Spaceline Virgin Galactic when it begins operating commercially in 2012.

Shortly after the plane landed in Mesa, several photographers who track test aircraft stood on a knoll just outside a chain-link security fence holding cameras with long telephoto lenses.

Sexton said Virgin Galactic officials and the aircraft's pilots asked that no photographs be taken of the plane.

But airport officials had no authority to prevent photography, he said, as long as photographers didn't enter the airport's secured areas.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Matt Ottosen

From Twitter:

@Virgin_Galactic
WhiteKnightTwo will be flying over Las Cruces airport tomorrow morning weather permitting.

I'm planning on being out at IWA around 7am (I'll head to the "knoll" first).  I'll keep this thread updated via my BlackBerry.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Rob Silliman

Joe - Have you licensed your image to the Republic yet?  In exchange for 'Media' credentials?

;D

Matt Ottosen

Quote from: Dave S. on June 19, 2009, 05:17:25 PM
We sort of made the news on this.

I was contacted by 3TV, they were looking for "several photographers who track test aircraft" that "stood on a knoll just outside a chain-link security fence holding cameras with long telephoto lenses."  I forwarded the email to Joe, and he contacted the producer.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Just found this on Twitter:

Virgin Galactic's WhiteKnightTwo is scheduled to make a flyover at the Las Cruces airport 9:30 a.m. Saturday.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Dave S.

Joe,

I like your style!  Will be interesting to see if your new friend at Flightglobal tries to contact you to 'clarify' things.

See you in the AM.  I'll be there just as soon after my run as I can, probably around 6:30 or so.  Anyone showing up earlier?

Dave
www.roxphotography.com

Joe Copalman

Matt and I are shooting for being out there around 0630 as well.  PM inbound.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Dave S.

www.roxphotography.com

Rob Silliman

I am going to try to make it around 6:45->7am range.

Matt Ottosen

Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport
June 20, 2009

VMS Eve
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

Joe Copalman

Really shows off the eyeball design to good effect.

Nice work, Matt.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ