News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

POTM

Started by Stephen Marshall, March 01, 2010, 03:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Marshall

So out of curiosity, can someone be nominated twice for POTM? I know each member can nominate only one, but it says nothing about getting nominated.  Doesn't seem all that fair to have two chances to win.

Suppose I'm just surprised I got two nominations?  ???
-- I'm Stephen Marshall and I approve this message.  |   Visit my Flickr.

Joe Copalman

There are currently no restrictions on how often someone may be nominated.  I had thought about it, but then I realized that multiple nominations may serve to "Ross Perot" one's own chances of being voted as the POTM.  Back in December, both Matt Ottosen and Joe McGovern had multiple photos nominated - Matt had 3, Joe had 2.  James O'Rear only had one photo nominated, but won POTM.  I think it was back in February when Jay Beckman had two noms and wound up winning.  Seems to me it balances out. 

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?  Something we should consider?
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

I don't see an issue with this.  Different images appeal to different people in different ways.  One person's DC-10 at dawn is another person's C172 at sunset.

The desire to get nominated however, should serve as an incentive to only post your very best work.

BTW, when I lost to Matt's Skycrane, I had three nominated that month.  IIRC, I voted for Matt as well...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

I KNEW there was a time you had three noms and lost - I just didn't go back far enough and found usable examples in later months.  But yeah.  Multiple noms can weaken one's chances of getting voted POTM.

Agree with Jay that the incentive with POTM is to get folks posting their best shots.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Stephen Marshall

Works for me I suppose.

Does make me want to post only the best for sure.
-- I'm Stephen Marshall and I approve this message.  |   Visit my Flickr.