News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Huntington Beach 2019

Started by Mike Margolis, October 21, 2019, 08:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Margolis

What a great show!! I had been leery due to the crowds, lighting, sand, parking, did I mention crowds, etc. My dad and sister have gone several times as well as old SoCal friends, but I hate the traffic and crowds. But it was a great airshow - one of the best in a long while actually!! The secret is to go on Friday, approach the beach from the east, not the south, park in a very close parking structure, and pay the $30 to gain access to the pier. I was the furthest human out on the pier (the western/far end was fenced off - so no Ruby's) and it was awesome!! They even had more than enough umbrellas and chairs for everyone - but I used neither. Being that far out and shooting south and north vs into the sun was perfect - and there were no iPhones or iPads sticking up in front of me (yes, I am talking about you Miramar.) The aerobatic box is apparently huge - seemed to be from SNA to LGB and surprisingly tall for that location - lots of airliners flying high over the top. The T-Birds actually did three sneak passes - they were epic! There was a ton of vapor/cons even though it was a nice and warm and mostly dry day. The only not great thing was due to the very light on-shore flow, the smoke slowly drifted toward the beach obscuring many subsequent passes. The Red Arrows were awesome - first time I'd seen them in person!! The T-Birds and the Snowbirds were both in great form. And the A-10, F-35, F/A-18, Bearcat, Mustang fly-bys, demos, and heritage flights were all great. Red Bull brought out their toys along with Lucas Oil, the jetpack guys, some Army dudes falling out of a C-47 (followed by a few passes), and the "Yak-110." Both good and bad was the lack of a PA system on the pier - we had no clue what was next or who was who. But with so many enthusiasts all looking skyward, nothing was missed. I've not yet gotten through the photos, but just regained access to my Flickr account (after 6+ months) so I can share here once again.

~ As most everyone knows, Snowbird jet #5 was lost (pilot punched and is fine) a week after this photo was taken. Did you know pilot #5 is married to pilot #6?? That's cool stuff right there!!

HB Huntington Beach airshow Oct 2019 MBM MEM Pier Snowbirds Number 5 no more crashed in ATL a week later pilot ok - _MG_8730
by Mike Margolis, on Flickr
"Could be worse... Could be raining."

Mike Margolis

Back in 1989 I got one ride in the C-114 Tutor out of Moose Jaw! It was an awesome experience!! Snowbird boss would not let us buy beverages. The jet is surprisingly capable. Besides the 4-ship furball at WWII speeds, turning rates, and energy levels, the "snowman" was the most impressive maneuver. Three Imelmann turns, followed by three Split S's... Hence, the "Snowman."

HB Huntington Beach airshow Oct 2019 MBM MEM Pier Snowbirds Number 5 no more crashed in ATL a week later pilot ok - _MG_8919
by Mike Margolis, on Flickr

Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis