15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

PASM Night Shoot - March 23th, 2019

Started by Joe Copalman, March 24, 2019, 10:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

YANKEE CHARLIE

LOWRIDER

I tried a few new-to-me things last night.  The top shot was the result of some collaborative work with Brian Corbett and Andy Binks (from the UK, with one of the groups that came out with us) using constant-on worklights that I brought along.  Not sure constant-ons are my thing, with all the micro-adjustments of position and height, and that much more gear to have to account for in the dark as you move from one location to another.  Still fun working with others.  The second shot was me breaking my own "low ISO/mid-range aperture" rule for night shooting to try and get a sky full of stars.  This was a nine-second lightpainting at ISO1600 and f/4.5    

This was a big  nightshoot, opened up to a bunch of photographers who were in town to shoot the D-M airshow.  Cool to see a lot of new faces out there.  Thanks again to John for facilitating.

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Nice work Joe, it's always fun to try new things at PASM.

Jonathan Navarro

My first night shoot at PASM went pretty well. Lots of trial and error and lots I can improve on but for now I'm pretty pleased with the results I got. Hopefully next time I can go better prepared and get some even better results. Was nice seeing everyone again as well as meeting some new people   ;D

John B.

Nicely done, Joe! 

Thanks to everyone who attended on Saturday night.  It really wasn't a bad evening to be out there and for me it turned into a good night for experimentation or doing a few different things.  I spent most of the night working with these two aircraft.  Both aircraft are in less-than-ideal spots with difficult backgrounds for shooting.  After several rounds of compromise I got these shots.  I suspect I will probably revisit both on another evening!

Snow S-2A 1010 par John Bezosky Jr., on ipernity

Northrop YC-125A Raider 48-0636 par John Bezosky Jr., on ipernity

Jonathan Navarro

Great shots John. Was nice to meet you finally!

Joe Copalman

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Solid shots, John!  Love that you chose to shoot in that 'forgotten' alley.  I had the Aztec and the Blue Canoe on my 'to-shoot' list that night as little personal challenge to myself, but never made it over there.

Love that shot of the Snow especially. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

John B.

Thanks, Joe!

I was looking at each of those airplanes on that row, too.  I simply ran out of time for more of them.  Not everything can be parked in the perfect spot for photographs during the day or night.  But, I think they are worth doing if only for the challenge of seeing where four or five levels of compromise might lead.

Brian Corbett

Beautiful images, everyone! Here are a few of mine.

Fish Are Friends

Maths

One For Each of Ya

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

Joe Copalman

Nice work on the nose of the YC-14.  I couldn't be assed to do the same. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Brian Corbett

Quote from: Joe Copalman on March 26, 2019, 01:41:12 PM
Nice work on the nose of the YC-14.  I couldn't be assed to do the same. 

Thanks! It almost looks like a gaping hole in the aircraft, especially with the reflections of the gear doors. It's kinda trippy.
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

Ross Dinsdale

Joe - Boxcar. Well played.

Brian - Fish Are Friends.  Might be the best shot posted so far. IMO

John - Snow S-2.  Perfectly executed.

Jonathan - Hustler.  Still my favorite aircraft at the museum.  You done her good.
Turd Ferguson
Las Vegas, Nevada
Comments and Critique are always welcome.

"Chair Juggling Extraordinaire"

Brian Corbett

Thanks, Ross!!

Sleep Well

Ebb and Flow

Jack and Sally

Inverted Sky Images

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Brian Corbett

Inverted Sky Images