15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 29 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

2018 El Centro Air Show

Started by Joe Copalman, March 12, 2018, 07:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

scottcolbath

Chris V

Tower Guy

WOW, i was talking to a couple British photographers that were there and shot this same F18. They said he wasn't 10' above the fence and they weren't kidding. It's good the hay bails aren't there anymore! Great catch Joe!

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Thanks guys.  This was totally bonkers.  Scott Colbath had just pulled up and I was walking toward the centerline area to say hi to him when I noticed the F-18 TAC Demo bird doing its touch-and-go during the demo practice, but it wasn't climbing.  Luckily I noticed it in time to get my lens up.  Not quite as dramatic as the head-on angle we got on BA #6 back in 2011 or whenever, but this was definitely a lower transition, and more thrust coming from those twin F414s.  I've got a sequence I'll post of Colbath scrambling to close the trunk of his Vette as the 'Hornet Haboob' was about to engulf him. 

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

MARINE MITCHELL

PROOF THROUGH THE NIGHT

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Brian Corbett

Great trip to NAFEC, as always!

Minus Dewey and Louie

Blood Sucker

Todd & Copper

Behind the 8 Ball
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Brian Corbett

Stormy Past

It's Good to be King

Pursuit Mode: Engaged
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

scottcolbath

Quote from: Joe Copalman on March 13, 2018, 05:00:58 AM
Thanks guys.  This was totally bonkers.  Scott Colbath had just pulled up and I was walking toward the centerline area to say hi to him when I noticed the F-18 TAC Demo bird doing its touch-and-go during the demo practice, but it wasn't climbing.  Luckily I noticed it in time to get my lens up.  Not quite as dramatic as the head-on angle we got on BA #6 back in 2011 or whenever, but this was definitely a lower transition, and more thrust coming from those twin F414s.  I've got a sequence I'll post of Colbath scrambling to close the trunk of his Vette as the 'Hornet Haboob' was about to engulf him. 

Hornet Haboob. I like that. My car still isn't completely clean, and that's after the dust on Friday (and a wash that day), and then the mud on Saturday (and another wash). I still need to hit it again.

S.C.

Jay Beckman

Nice that they didn't close the extended box on Friday.

That used to be a No Go zone.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Jay Beckman on March 13, 2018, 04:41:13 PM
Nice that they didn't close the extended box on Friday.

That used to be a No Go zone.

It still is a no-go zone.  Local law enforcement dropped the ball, we were just the fortunate beneficiaries of that. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ