Matt Ottosen

Lockheed S-3B Viking
Sea Control Squadron 21 (VS-21) "Fighting Redtails"

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on January 28, 2014, 07:17:31 PM
From the Inside Out - B-36 interior

Wow Scott, this one got by me. Not sure if the lens you used is contributing to my observation, but the B-36 interior looks rather "roomy" compared to a B-17 (the only such interior I've been in). I also love the exposure and color balance you achieved. I'd appreciate any EXIF you'd be willing to share.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Thanks Jeff, This shot was the result of a rare moment of foresight years back when the shots were taken. I took a number exposures to get both outside and inside exposed properly. The years went by and I stumbled across the series the other day and decided to use the HDR processing tool in Photoshop to merge two of the images.  The result was fair at best so I brought it into Lightroom and tweaked the noise and contrast etc.

In regard to the size of the interior of the B-36, it probably does look a bit bigger than it really is but it is clearly a LOT bigger than a B-17 or B-24 and there are multiple compartments, some larger than this one.  Being a huge fan of the Jimmy Stewart movie, Strategic Air Command, I had great fun sitting in the cockpit making engine sounds.  Thankfully no one was around to make fun of me. Checklist complete!

I'll add some EXIF data later when I can access my computer.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Jeff, Some EXIF data. EOS-5D, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS set at 24mm, ISO 400, shot exposed for interior was 1/4 sec at f/11, exterior shot was 1/125 sec at f16.  Aperture priority most likely.  Probably switched to f/16 for exterior shot to make sure outside was sharp.  Not the best strategy to change apertures for a series like this.  Not sure why I shot at ISO 400 since the camera was fixed.  Probably just left it where it had been set prior to these shots.  Nothing too noteworthy here.  Just took a series of shots about two stops apart and picked the ones I thought would work best.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on January 31, 2014, 06:45:06 PM
Jeff, Some EXIF data. EOS-5D, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS set at 24mm, ISO 400, shot exposed for interior was 1/4 sec at f/11, exterior shot was 1/125 sec at f16.  Aperture priority most likely.  Probably switched to f/16 for exterior shot to make sure outside was sharp.  Not the best strategy to change apertures for a series like this.  Not sure why I shot at ISO 400 since the camera was fixed.  Probably just left it where it had been set prior to these shots.  Nothing too noteworthy here.  Just took a series of shots about two stops apart and picked the ones I thought would work best.

Thanks for the EXIF info on the B-36 image Scott. Makes sense and helps me better understand how you achieved the final image. Congrats on the subtlety of your HDR processing. For me, it is a very well exposed image and draws my interest into this rarely seen interior.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Scott Youmans on January 31, 2014, 09:26:39 PM
Moonlit Nightmare - 8/20/2011

As I'm on a night photography jag lately, this image certainly got my attention. The subject is very interesting and your framing makes the most of the "Nightmare". The broken nose gear laying in the foreground is a terrific element. It appears that the coup de grâce was applied to the forward section of the fuselage. Lastly, your traditional cyanotype processing really fits the "Moonlit" tonality of the conversion. Very well done Scott.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Thank you for your comments Jeff.  That Connie (Warning Star) sat out there for quite a while more or less intact.  I had taken quite a few shots of it while it was still in one piece.  When I returned and found it had been cut up it was pretty sad.  I always thought the RC-121/EC-121 were impressive looking aircraft.  In the early to mid-sixties there were quite a number of them lined up along Buckeye Road which ran along the south side of NAF Litchfield.  Here's an example seen under better circumstances.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Boeing KC-97G Stratotanker
9th Strategic Aerospace Wing

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Boeing KB-50J Superfortress
4505th Air Refueling Wing

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

MuseumAndy

General Dynamics F-111E Aardvark back out on display after touching up the paint.

wingsnstuff

Scott, your ultra compelling photo of the broken Connie is a serious Heart Breaker.  It saddens me every time I look at it yet I can't help marvel at the awesome quality of the shot.  It's just beautiful. 

Scott Youmans

Thank you very much Vance.  That is one of the greatest compliments I have had regarding my photography.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Tower Guy

EB-47 by Tower Guy, on Flickr