15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Pima Air and Space Museum, Tucson, AZ

Started by Joe Copalman, June 18, 2009, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B.

Quote from: Brian Corbett on May 27, 2016, 07:15:05 AM
Just curious, John... How old are most of the paint jobs that are being redone? Any originals? You guys are going to town and doing a fantastic job!!

It varies and it varies wildly from airplane to airplane.  But, most (but not all) of the airplanes that have been here since before the 1990's have likely been repainted at least once.  For example, the F-105D arrived at PASM in about 1983 and it was repainted in about 1995.  So, this is the second repaint since it has been at PASM.

There are many variables at play--paint formulations, gloss versus flat finish, light colors versus dark colors, as examples--that make the age of paint jobs differ from airplane to airplane.

John B.

Brian Corbett

Quote from: John B. on May 27, 2016, 08:22:30 AM
It varies and it varies wildly from airplane to airplane.  But, most (but not all) of the airplanes that have been here since before the 1990's have likely been repainted at least once.  For example, the F-105D arrived at PASM in about 1983 and it was repainted in about 1995.  So, this is the second repaint since it has been at PASM.

There are many variables at play--paint formulations, gloss versus flat finish, light colors versus dark colors, as examples--that make the age of paint jobs differ from airplane to airplane.

I figured as much. What kind of paint is being applied now? Acrylic urethane or something similar?
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

John B.

Quote from: Brian Corbett on May 27, 2016, 08:59:13 AM
I figured as much. What kind of paint is being applied now? Acrylic urethane or something similar?

Exactly.  We use the Martin Senour Prism system.

John B.

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on May 27, 2016, 10:29:07 AM
Of course, I like how it looks right now  ;D

Glad you do, Jeff.  But we have to keep a whole bunch of other people happy, too!

John B.

Tower Guy

Good looking Gazelle John, doesn't look like it needs anything but assembled and displayed. Nice addition.

John B.

Another day of moving a big and heavy thing around...

Convair B-36J Peacemaker 52-2827 par John Bezosky Jr., on ipernity

Anna M. Wood

John B.

Quote from: Anna M. Wood on June 03, 2016, 04:16:33 PM
Where is the B-36 moving to?

It was just moved a short way across the aisle.  Now it is parked along the Valencia fence next to the B-47.

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: John B. on June 03, 2016, 06:14:39 PM
Quote from: Anna M. Wood on June 03, 2016, 04:16:33 PM
Where is the B-36 moving to?

It was just moved a short way across the aisle.  Now it is parked along the Valencia fence next to the B-47.

That will make a great night time image along the fence line....

John B.

The F-105D is nearly down to bare metal, so it won't be long before it is wearing primer.

Republic F-105D Thunderchief 61-0086 par John Bezosky Jr., on ipernity

John B.

Moving ahead on our no-longer unknown identity Ilyushin Il-2:
7th Guards Assault Aviation Regiment, Red Banner Baltic Fleet, February 1943 - January 1944

7th Guards Assault Aviation Regiment Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmovik 5612 par John Bezosky Jr., on ipernity

7th Guards Assault Aviation Regiment Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmovik 5612 par John Bezosky Jr., on ipernity

Anna M. Wood

Boeing EB-47E Stratojet

To hot to play outside today...  From December of 2014.  As I recall it was pretty chilly this evening at PASM.