Main Menu

Pima Air and Space Museum, Tucson, AZ

Started by Joe Copalman, June 18, 2009, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Scott Youmans on December 20, 2011, 08:14:32 PM
CH-21C

Thanks Joe!

With this next post (CH-21C) I've moved out of my "corner" to the other edge.  I don't know what it is about this old helicopter that intrigues me. I've taken dozens of photos of it over the years.  Something about that era and the fact that it still in its original paint, what's left of it. I often find the scruffy aircraft straight out of the boneyard more interesting than the restored aircraft.

Scott, I couldn't agree more.  With a few exceptions (the Hunter immediately comes to mind), I gravitate toward the more "textured" aircraft there.  I think they tell more of a story.  I also like some of the scrapyards in the area for the same reason - you get the weathered look of the AMARG birds, but without the spray-lat and often without the inventory numbers. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Joe - That Hunter is very nice and I have yet to get a shot of it I'm really happy with.

Here's a shot that's not strictly a Pima photo but is about as close as you can get with out being there.  Good example from a scrapyard. Too bad they cut this one up.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

I was pretty disappointed when I saw that.  I love all those old Trackers, Traders, and Tracers.  Hawkeyes too.  Please excuse image quality...
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Jeff, Thanks regarding the Pima photos. I thought I had responded earlier but I must have hit the wrong button when I went to post the message.  Tough place to shoot but I get one right every once in a while. Glad I'm not shooting film!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Boeing KB-50J Superfortress
4505th Air Refueling Wing

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Jeff D. Welker

Cool shot of a big old bird Matt. Is this a converted B-29 or something completely different?
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jay Beckman

AFAIK, KB-50s were B-29s with jet engines added outboard to increase cruising speed so they could service the early Century-series fighters.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Kinda-sorta.  The B-50s were new-build aircraft based on the B-29, but with different engines and some structural differences.  Given SAC's thirst for A-bomb-capable bombers at the time (late 40s, early 50s), it wasn't until after the B-50 had given way to the B-36 and B-47 that conversion to KB-50 tankers really got underway. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

As Joe mentioned the B-50 had different engines which were R-4360s like the B-36, C-124, some C-119s, and the C-97 which was based on the B-50 airframe. Interestingly that engine also powered the F2G. Other than the engines/nacelles, the most noticeable difference is the much taller vertical stabilizer. I always thought the B-50/KB-50 was a nicer looking aircraft than the B-29.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Brian Lockett

Quote from: Scott Youmans on January 10, 2012, 09:32:45 AM
As Joe mentioned the B-50 had different engines which were R-4360s like the B-36, C-124, some C-119s, and the C-97 which was based on the B-50 airframe. Interestingly that engine also powered the F2G. Other than the engines/nacelles, the most noticeable difference is the much taller vertical stabilizer. I always thought the B-50/KB-50 was a nicer looking aircraft than the B-29.

This picture of an XC-97 with R-3350s and the wing structure and smaller tail of the B-29 helps illustrate some of the differences:
My father took this picture at an open house of the General Electric Air Research Laboratory in Schenectady, New York in June 1946.

Scott Youmans

Brian, great photo to illustrate the differences. As can be seen in the photo the prototype C-97 was based on the B-29 whereas production C-97s were based on the B-50. Love those Schenectady photos!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Matt Ottosen

Boeing C-97G Stratofreighter
International Red Cross

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

CJPalmer