News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Pima Air and Space Museum, Tucson, AZ

Started by Joe Copalman, June 18, 2009, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

That corner of the museum is very, very good to you.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Thanks Joe. That is a good corner, many of my favorites are there. I would like to claim that practice makes perfect but I still shoot plenty of duds.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

Really great shots, Scott!  I'm starting to think that Mr. Youmans should host an AzAP photography workshop at PASM next Summer.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Scott Youmans

Thanks Matt! Hot as it is, July, August, and September are among the best times to shoot there.  Of course there can be spectacular light at other times of the year as well but it's harder to predict.  I would be glad to host a tour and throw in my two cents worth if requested.  We have many very competent photographers in our ranks but I probably have had more than the average amount of "opportunities" to learn from my mistakes while shooting at that location.

If there is sufficient interest we can discuss specifics as we get a little closer to summer.  In the meantime I'll run it by the museum to get their input.

Scott Y.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

I'd definitely be up for that, especially considering how "slow" things are relative to the fall/winter/spring months. 

I think my biggest problem shooting there is that I tend to see only the obstacles and the clutter, rather than the opportunities.  Looking at your shots, Scott, I don't even notice the signs, yet when I shoot there, I agonize over shooting from an angle where I can be sure of an easy clone-job to get rid of them and other potential distractions.   

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Composing as you suggest, so you can clone out the signs, is definitely a good strategy and one I used on the book project quite often.  Depending on where they are sometimes I just leave them in.

When you mentioned seeing "only the obstacles and the clutter, rather than the opportunities" you've hit on what I think is a key issue with composition whether it be a painting or a photograph.  I find museums like Pima are among the most challenging situations for that reason but even under "normal" circumstances it can be a challenge to see potentially good compositions within the range of possibilities.  One thing I see people doing a lot is avoiding anything that's backlit. If you look at the paintings of Keith Ferris you'll notice that almost everything he paints is backlit and he can pick any view he wants.  Another common misconception is that things look best with the sun directly behind you.  That often leads to a flat featureless photo.  Much better (usually) to have the light more around to the front (of the aircraft) so you can see the contours of the fuselage, nacelles, tail, etc.  This was the case late in the day at El Centro, very nice.  Avoiding overcast altogether isn't always the best strategy either.  Depending on the situation, the lack of distinct shadows can be a real advantage especially for monochrome.  While I'm yacking here's one more, avoiding people in the shot.  Sometimes it really helps to have someone there. It gives a sense of scale and especially in the case of views looking down on an aircraft, such as a photo taken from a lift, it prevents the aircraft from looking like a model.

As I mentioned earlier we have a number of accomplished photographers in the group who no doubt have their own opinions and have developed their own style and successful techniques.  I'm still learning as I go.  I've had to learn many things more than once.  I hate when that happens. :-[
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

MuseumAndy

All good points Scott.  I often find it fun shooting at museums just because I end up with images and compositions I would not have originally thought of before being on site. You made a good point about people, your use of them in the museum book and other official photos is spot on, especially that jackass that wondered into your B-36 photos! ;)

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

wingsnstuff

John,  this is an awesome shot.  You captured it perfectly.  WOW!  Great composition.

Scott Youmans

Can't seem to shake this monochrome thing.  B-36J, summer 2011.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Quite the SAC-attack there. 

Gorgeous shot, too.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

CH-21C

Thanks Joe!

With this next post (CH-21C) I've moved out of my "corner" to the other edge.  I don't know what it is about this old helicopter that intrigues me. I've taken dozens of photos of it over the years.  Something about that era and the fact that it still in its original paint, what's left of it. I often find the scruffy aircraft straight out of the boneyard more interesting than the restored aircraft.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Man-o-man Scott, your Pima images are tremendous.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.