Pima Air and Space Museum, Tucson, AZ

Started by Joe Copalman, June 18, 2009, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jslugman

Cracking shots Scott. Pima's a great place to photograph if you like a pile o' challenges everywhere you look.
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Scott Youmans

Thanks James!  Yes, very challenging indeed.   I've tried various strategies over the years but there is no single strategy that works for me in every case.  I'm sure this is nothing new to those of us who have shot there many times.  At least nothing is moving!  That helps!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Nikita's Nightmare.

Continuing the discussion above, I typically try to frame my shots at PASM in a way that allows for easy cloning of the signs and whatever other objects might draw the eye.  This was also shot when traffic on Valencia was pretty much non-stop in both directions and on a wider shot like this, I had maybe 2 seconds max to get it without any cars in the background.  Really wishing I had gotten a bit more creative on this trip, but it was pushing 110ยบ and the light was at its worst at that point in the day.  
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

CJPalmer

A platinum/palladium contact print of the Super Guppy from a 4x5 negative.

Platinum Super Guppy by CJPalmerPhoto, on Flickr

Chetan

Quote from: CJPalmer on October 03, 2011, 11:29:20 PM
A platinum/palladium contact print of the Super Guppy from a 4x5 negative.

Nice one CJ. Don't see many old-school photographs these days.. :)

CJPalmer

Thank you! I love the platinum prints and want to do more, but it is an expensive process.

Scott Youmans

Another shot from last summer (2011).
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Chris Janes

Chris Janes

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Yet another shot from last summer.  I remember seeing these in Yuma when we'd pass through on our way to San Diego for summer vacation.  There would typically be one parked roughly near where the SAR Hueys are now.  To me they seemed to be a very elegant aircraft.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Love how the sky just pops in your PASM shots.  Are you shooting with a filter of any sort, or are you doing all the work in post-processing?
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Thanks Joe!  I'm pretty sure I was using a polarizer on this and with many of the shots taken down there this summer.  Some post processing involved too. The Polarizer is great for those Tucson summer skies.  You've probably seen this for yourself but you have to be careful when shooting with a wide angle because the sky is not affected uniformly by the polarizer.  I botched quite a few shots due to that when shooting film.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Another stormy day at Pima.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved