News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

North American B-25J Mitchell "Maid in the Shade"

Started by Matt Ottosen, June 10, 2009, 05:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jslugman

I'm wanting to do Pima someday with nothing but a Lensbaby. Now THAT should be fun!
James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Jay Beckman

Quote from: jslugman on September 30, 2009, 04:04:50 PM
I'm wanting to do Pima someday with nothing but a Lensbaby. Now THAT should be fun!

I did something sort of like that on a visit down there using only a 50mm and an 85mm wide open for everything.

Got results like this:

More in my Aviation Art gallery on Zenfolio: Link
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

Jay Beckman

Quote from: jslugman on September 30, 2009, 05:19:25 PM
Nice. Oh, to have an 85mm to open wide... :-)

Thanks...

This was just the f/1.8 and not the vaunted f/1.2L
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Matt Ottosen

Here's another one from my air-to-air shoot with Maid in the Shade.

We used our SNJ as the photo platform with the canopy open.  I took 562 photos (approx 5GBs) in only about 15 minutes.  Many are blurry from the camera getting buffeted in the slipstream, but I got some good ones too.  This was probably the hardest photo shoot I've ever done, but also the most fun!  Out of the 562 photos I took only around 18 came out.

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

redsox223

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

Joe Copalman

I hate this shot.  I mean, it's not a bad shot, but I shouldn't have gotten it.  I went out to Falcon this morning to catch the departures of the SNJ, C-45, B-25, and B-17 when they flew out to some Veterans Day event.  Winds were solid from the northeast, so I set up on the eastern fence.  I caught the C-45 and SNJ departing just fine, but then noticed the bombers were taxiing toward me.  At first I assumed they were just coming to the east end to do their run-ups, since there is a bunch of construction going on at the other end of the field, but then it became obvious they were going to depart against traffic.  I tried to get several shots of the B-25 and B-17 in the same frame, but glare was a problem, and being that my car was parked at Anzio Landing, I didn't want to go too far to the north, the logic being that I needed to get to my car quickly to get to the CAF's parking lot to get the departure shots.  I mean, there they were, doing their run-ups, obviously getting ready to leave, and I just stood there, snapping away, just taking pictures of airplanes because there were airplanes to be photographed.  I knew I had to get to the other end of the field muy pronto, but I just couldn't stop taking pictures.  It was like I was hypnotized. 

This shot is the last one I took before booking it back to my car and driving to the CAF lot.  Of course, I missed the takeoffs of both the B-25 and B-17, which were both absolutely spectacular.  Since they departed against traffic, they both banked sharply after takeoff, giving perfect top-lit top shots from the CAF Museum.  And I missed it.  Anyway, lesson learned: USE YOUR BRAIN. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Paul Dumm

Got to see "Maid in the Shade" for the first time late this morning as it flew out pasted Florence and turned around and headed west back to the Valley. I was at work and could not have my camera with me. There's all ways next time.
"You don't become a professional simply by earning certificates, adding ratings, or getting a paycheck for flying. Rather, professionalism is a mindset. It comes from having the attitude, the ethics, and the discipline to do the right thing — every time, all the time, regardless of who's watching."

wingsnstuff

I showed up this morning after a nearly two hour drive from the west valley (Surprise).  I pulled into the CAF parking lot and the crews were getting the planes ready to go.  I took a few shots through the fence and then got a call that my daughter-in-law was in a car accident, so had to book it back to the west valley.  She fine.  Her car's well, not so much.  Anyhow, I got a few shots and really hoped that I would get some of them taking off.  There was a photo team at the CAF hanger taking some glam shots of the aircraft and a pretty blond.  Maybe that's why they took off back toward the CAF hanger.  Thanks for the tip Joe.  That was very nice of you to do that.

Joe Copalman

Good to hear your daughter is alright.  I probably just missed you out there.

The model was still there when I got there.  Took me a minute to figure out what was going on, as I just saw a woman in a BDU jacket and stiletto heels and thought maybe the Army had considerably loosened the uniform standards for women.  I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Matt Ottosen

Here's another one from my air-to-air shoot with Maid in the Shade.

We used our SNJ as the photo platform with the canopy open.  This was probably the hardest photo shoot I've ever done, but also the most fun!

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

CJPalmer

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

wingsnstuff

Just beautiful Matt.  I'm jealous too!  We're you backseating in the SNJ?