National Museum of the Marine Corps

Started by wingsnstuff, June 06, 2015, 01:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingsnstuff

I'm currently working with one of the graduating Marine Corps Officer Commissioning Classes of Calendar Year 1977 (TBS 1-77) in preparation for their first class reunion.  The National Museum of the Marine Corps will be hosting one of the reunion events, so I had the opportunity to visit the museum and capture a number of images that will be displayed during the various events.  I've posted a number of them on my Flickr page and I've also uploaded them into a Flickr Album.  I'm attaching a link to that album just in case you are interested in viewing some of the amazing exhibits.  These images are just a small sample of the many artifacts and displays contained in this museum, so I'd encourage any and all who visit the DC - Northern Virginia area to take a side trip to Quantico, Virginia to visit the facility.  It will be one of the highlights of your visit.  Here's the link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wingsnstuff/sets/72157651599791773

Matt Ottosen

Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

wingsnstuff

Thanks Matt.  I hope to go back in two weeks to photograph the parts of the museum that I didn't have time for on the first visit. 

Joe Copalman

HOUSE TO HOUSE

I had to travel to DC for a conference last week and managed to get down to Quantico to visit the National Museum of the Marine Corps for a bit.  The displays there are top rate, and I shot quite a bit of them with my Lensbaby Composer.  Fun little lens, but I definitely need to get a bit more experience with it.  This was the display for the Battle of Hue in the Vietnam section. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

John B.

Quote from: Joe Copalman on January 27, 2019, 10:21:31 PM
HOUSE TO HOUSE
I had to travel to DC for a conference last week and managed to get down to Quantico to visit the National Museum of the Marine Corps for a bit.  The displays there are top rate, and I shot quite a bit of them with my Lensbaby Composer.  Fun little lens, but I definitely need to get a bit more experience with it.  This was the display for the Battle of Hue in the Vietnam section. 

Nicely done shot, Joe.  That Hue/M50 dio is compelling--as are many of the dios there.  I really like what they have been able to do with their AFVs.  My last visit was back in 2012 and I will eventually have to return to see it again.

Joe Copalman

I'm hoping to visit again in the future as they expand with the Panama/Grenada/Somalia exhibits and then the OIF/OEF and Desert Storm as well.  The dio they have planned for OIF with the UH-1N in a FARP alone warrants a second look.  (Also, I goofed big-time and completely missed the WWII exhibit, was in a rush to get back to return my rental car on time). 

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

BOMBS AWAY!

Dauntless and Corsair.  And yes, another Lensbaby shot.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: Joe Copalman on February 06, 2019, 10:21:55 PM
BOMBS AWAY!

Dauntless and Corsair.  And yes, another Lensbaby shot.

This works so well...  Very nice Joe.