News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

San Francisco International Airport (KSFO)

Started by Joe Copalman, May 28, 2015, 10:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

"Le Big Mac"
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Nice one Joe!  Good to see another airport added to our collection!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Thanks, Jay!  Bit of a last-minute thing, but had the opportunity to kill some time before a late (and delayed even further because SFO) flight home shooting from the shadow tower where most of the gate/alley control is done on the east side.  Amazing how many "exotic" carriers come in there, with many of them flying different types in as well.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

The whole SFO / LAX thing makes PHX look like a farmer's grass strip at times...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Jay Beckman on May 28, 2015, 11:53:42 AM
The whole SFO / LAX thing makes PHX look like a farmer's grass strip at times...

Even San Diego and Vegas have a tendency to do that.  Even seeing some domestic carriers like Virgin American or JetBlue that we either don't get or don't get much of at PHX was refreshing.  And many people would probably bitch about the weather, but I've got to admit that the marine layer stuff was a welcome change as well.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Great head-on shot of this 340, you found a great place to shoot from Joe. Not always easy to do if you are only passing through. The subdued light due to clouds helps with detail on the shiny, mostly white airliners.

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Tower Guy on May 29, 2015, 09:17:43 AM
Great head-on shot of this 340, you found a great place to shoot from Joe. Not always easy to do if you are only passing through. The subdued light due to clouds helps with detail on the shiny, mostly white airliners.

Thanks Harvey!  Location is thanks to a friend I met through Flickr years ago, he's a gate controller in the shadow tower there, and when he heard I was going to be in town, he graciously extended an invitation to check out his office.  I had built in some wiggle room on my last day in SF to do some touristy stuff after my conference, very glad I had that extra time to do this.  The A340 is hands-down my favorite airliner, and SFO gets a lot of them, so I was a happy camper.   

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

FROM GLEN TO GLEN, AND UP THE MOUNTAINSIDE

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Great series Joe. This last looks like an A2A shot!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Thanks Scott.  Quirky atmospherics there for sure, and it made for some neat shots. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Ah, I remember that paint job well. Mostly 707s, 727's and Electras.  Wish they'd fly it to Phoenix.  Great catch!  Hope they keep it that way.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Scott Youmans on June 01, 2015, 06:22:39 PM
Ah, I remember that paint job well. Mostly 707s, 727's and Electras.  Wish they'd fly it to Phoenix.  Great catch!  Hope they keep it that way.

I've caught it at PHX once, I think back in 2008.  It was under similarly gray skies. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

LADY P

Virgin's 'Lady Penelope.'  She's now parked at Goodyear, awaiting scrapping.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ