Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tajmahal250

Gotta try to do something with the dreaded flat grey clouds....

[/url]EXCALIBUR by Thomas  Backus, on Flickr[/img]

Ned Harris

Great Horned Owl Fledgling. 6/17/18 in Cochise county, AZ.
_31A5830 Great Horned Owl Fledgling. by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Tower Guy

scottcolbath

Quote from: Ned Harris on June 18, 2018, 03:38:30 PM
Great Horned Owl Fledgling. 6/17/18 in Cochise county, AZ.
_31A5830 Great Horned Owl Fledgling. by Ned Harris, on Flickr

Ned, that owl is clearly annoyed with you.

S.C.

John S

Eastern Bluebird in Maine.

Mural in a small town in Texas

My brother-in-laws front yard in Comanche, TX

Jeff D. Welker

Inside Looking Out - Claypool Tunnel
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Tower Guy

WOW! Love the rock texture and view. That is a challenging composition shooting from dark to light. Well done Jeff.

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on June 26, 2018, 07:36:17 AM

Inside Looking Out - Claypool Tunnel

Awesome. I need to go there.

S.C.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on June 26, 2018, 10:04:52 AM
WOW! Love the rock texture and view. That is a challenging composition shooting from dark to light. Well done Jeff.

Thanks Harvey - I've learned, through much trial and even more error, that film has more latitude than I originally thought. The trick for me has been figuring out how a certain exposure setting and development strategy (push/pull) helps me achieve my "vision". What really saved me in this scenario was a heavy overcast. On a normal bright and sunny AZ day, I would have been hard pressed to avoid blowing out the mountain in the background and/or getting mostly no-detail shadows in the foreground. My attempts at precision exposure work notwithstanding, it helps to get lucky.  I know you've shot a ton of film back in the day, so hopefully this makes sense.

Quote from: scottcolbath on June 26, 2018, 07:46:18 PM
Awesome. I need to go there.

S.C.

Thanks Scott.  There are a couple of different ways to access the tunnel.  Using the old US Highway 60/70 road, above or below the tunnel, is the best route in my opinion - relatively easy walking/hiking.  The old section of US Highway 60/70 from Superior to the Claypool tunnel is used by the residents of Superior as a hiking/biking pathway.  When my foot heals, I'm going to start hiking it on Saturdays mornings.  Even in the summer, where the road/tunnel is located in Queen Creek Canyon remains in shade until mid morning.

This last image is taken on the north end of the tunnel.  A light rain had started to fall and the associated quiet light was helping soften the image contrast that would have been prevalent on a typical AZ sunny day.

Hasselblad 501 CM + Zeiss Distagon f/3.5 60mm CF + Ilford FP4+ @ 80.  Lab: The Icon, Los Angeles, CA.  Scan: Epson V850
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Here is a historic image, photographer unknown, of the Claypool Tunnel when it was is use as part of US Highway 60/70.  This is the south end of the tunnel.  Same location as the first image I posted - http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=258.msg70696#msg70696
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

scottcolbath

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on June 27, 2018, 06:17:44 AM

Thanks Scott.  There are a couple of different ways to access the tunnel.  Using the old US Highway 60/70 road, above or below the tunnel, is the best route in my opinion - relatively easy walking/hiking.  The old section of US Highway 60/70 from Superior to the Claypool tunnel is used by the residents of Superior as a hiking/biking pathway.  When my foot heals, I'm going to start hiking it on Saturdays mornings.  Even in the summer, where the road/tunnel is located in Queen Creek Canyon remains in shade until mid morning.

This last image is taken on the north end of the tunnel.  A light rain had started to fall and the associated quiet light was helping soften the image contrast that would have been prevalent on a typical AZ sunny day.

Hasselblad 501 CM + Zeiss Distagon f/3.5 60mm CF + Ilford FP4+ @ 80.  Lab: The Icon, Los Angeles, CA.  Scan: Epson V850

I'd love to do this walk with you. Ping me when you want to do it.

S.C.

Jonathan Navarro

Church in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico.

Jeff D. Welker

AZ 8962 V - While not 100% seaworthy, the potential is evident. Imagine yourself at the helm of this vessel. Gliding across the waterways of Arizona. I'm guessing that ownership would even allow the captain to perform marriages at sea.

Hasselblad 501 CM + Zeiss Planar f/3.5 100mm CF + Kodak Portra 160 @ 100.  Lab: The Icon, Los Angeles, CA.  Scan: Epson V850
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

tajmahal250

Hope everyone had a great Fourth of July.

[/url]IMG_9879 by Thomas  Backus, on Flickr[/img]

MuseumAndy