News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottcolbath

I call this one "Fish Out Of Water" , because I am completely out of sorts with the new camera and photo editing software.  ;D

I'll have to find some time between work, school and trying not to become a fatter-ass to read the manuals.

S.C.

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: John S on February 29, 2016, 11:51:43 AM
So I tried to do some panning at the drag races, I could really only do it on the far side lane as I had 70-200 f/2.8 lens on.  I was using single spot focusing, I went to shutter priority and slowed it down to 1/250.  I don't know what to think about how they came out, the door and behind the door came out in focus but the hood area seems to be blurred a little.  Just looking for some advise and what can be done to improve, I know practice practice practice but its tough to get out on my schedule.

Nicely Done John.....

You will get that with a slow shutter speed pan.  Geometrically some parts of the subject are moving at a different speed to the camera optics.  A portion of the image will be sharp while others parts you will see motion blur.  The fun part is getting the appropriate part of the image sharp.  The closer you are to the subject the harder it gets for the whip pan.  I usually use an expanded 5 or 9 point focus area, set to the left or right of center (depends on which way I am panning) so I can lead the pan.  Kinda like shooting skeet.  That seems to work for me.

Lots and lots of practice and experimenting helps.  Getting out to Sky Harbor and 40th St or the parking decks is great practice.  Moving cars along the street is good practice too.

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: scottcolbath on February 29, 2016, 04:43:04 PM
I call this one "Fish Out Of Water" , because I am completely out of sorts with the new camera and photo editing software.  ;D

I'll have to find some time between work, school and trying not to become a fatter-ass to read the manuals.

S.C.

Very nice Scott....  Think you did very well with all the new gear.

John S

Thanks Anna, I too am dealing with a new camera, there are a lot of differences from my old camera which is almost 10 years old. I only had it for 5 days before I went to the race with, need to get out and practice for the air show at Luke.

John

scottcolbath

Finally getting around to going through the shots from last week.

So far the biggest benefit I see with the 7D Mark 2 is that I can turn up the ISO to 400, crank up the shutter speed and get a good crop. The original 7D did not give me the level of quality I wanted on a crop with the ISO cranked up.

S.C.

John S

scottcolbath

Quote from: John S on March 04, 2016, 08:57:58 PM
Who are shooting for Scott?  I am with SportsPageMagazine.com.

I'm just doing my own thing from the stands.

S.C.

John S

Oh ok, looks like you might have been standing down where i was, you must have been sitting really low. Nice shots.

scottcolbath

Quote from: John S on March 05, 2016, 03:36:29 PM
Oh ok, looks like you might have been standing down where i was, you must have been sitting really low. Nice shots.

I was actually about three rows from the top down near the end of the stands. I thought about going down by the fence, but I don't like blocking views, or annoying security folks.

S.C.

Anna M. Wood

Some images from The Pavilions at Talking Stick.

Jeff D. Welker

Wonderful imagery Anna. Confess the lens please  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on March 07, 2016, 10:51:56 AM
Wonderful imagery Anna. Confess the lens please  ;)

Thank you Jeff.   These were with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens EF Mount with Metabones Mark IV adapter.

Tower Guy

Anna, your automobile shots are just beautiful, that really shows the high megapixel of that Sony.

Tower Guy

Vance, you sure picked a beautiful place to live, all your shots look like chamber of commerce shots for the visitors bureau.   

Jay Beckman

Savage Beauty
Somewhere near (and above) Spokane, WA in 2014
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.