News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

A couple of images from the weekly Pavilions car show in Scottsdale.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Anna M. Wood

Very nice Jeff....   Love the older cars, they are so photogenic.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Anna M. Wood on November 08, 2015, 11:23:46 AM
Very nice Jeff....   Love the older cars, they are so photogenic.

Thank you Anna. I definitely enjoy the terrific cars that show-up at the Pavilions.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

That Sony sure looks good Jeff, these are a couple of beautiful shots. You'll enjoy shooting with this camera for a long time to come.

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Tower Guy on November 08, 2015, 12:37:14 PM
That Sony sure looks good Jeff, these are a couple of beautiful shots. You'll enjoy shooting with this camera for a long time to come.

Thank you Harvey. Much credit goes to our confederate Scott Youmans for helping me make a smooth transition from Canon to Sony/Zeiss. I've only had my new gear for a short period of time and I am totally confident I've made the right choice. At the moment, I only have the Sony A7RII camera body and Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2.0 lens in my humble shoulder bag. I'll slowly add glass in the future, but for now I'm having a blast learning the A7RII's capabilities and marveling at the build/performance of that Zeiss Loxia lens - a work of functional art. On the analog side of things, I have my Hasselblad 500C/M and three fine Zeiss lenses. At the moment, I don't own a single AF lens and I'm a very happy camper.

I'm still learning the ropes with the Loxia glass. While I like this image, going with f/2 was a tad too shallow DOF. I'm thinking f/4 would have been better. Nevertheless, the rendering this combo is giving me is wonderful.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Anna M. Wood

Looks wonderful to me at f/2.  That is a killer combo.

Are you using the focus peaking on the Sony body?  How do you like it?

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Anna M. Wood on November 08, 2015, 06:42:46 PM
Looks wonderful to me at f/2.  That is a killer combo.

Are you using the focus peaking on the Sony body?  How do you like it?

Thanks Anna. I am using the focus peaking and find it very helpful. Sony also has a couple of other focusing aides for MF lenses. While I have no experience with prior Sony cameras, I think they really have the total package with the A7RII. Brother Youmans has the Sony/Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 AF lens that is absolutely terrific. One of the smallest AF lenses I've ever seen and will cut your eye in half with its critical focus. Since I'm on a MF jag lately, I went with the Loxia. Some time down the road, I'll rent some long glass and adapt to the A7RII. Besides Scott, I believe Rob Turchick has the A7RII and has used it in more dynamic settings.

BTW, for such a large sensor (42.4 MP) it's low light, high ISO performance is impressive. The image below was shot at 1/500, f/2, ISO 1600.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Anna M. Wood

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on November 08, 2015, 08:41:33 PM

BTW, for such a large sensor (42.4 MP) it's low light, high ISO performance is impressive. The image below was shot at 1/500, f/2, ISO 1600.

Rob seems happy with his Sony A7RII, Metabones IV and long Canon glass.

The low light capabilities of the Sony A7RII are really appealing to me.  Also focus peaking with manual lenses.   From what I am seeing with yours and Rob's images it may be sooner than later for my full frame camera purchase.

That image is flipping awesome...   :)

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Anna M. Wood on November 08, 2015, 09:30:25 PM
That image is flipping awesome...   :)

Thanks again Anna. Just for fun, I tried a monochrome conversion on the Shoebox hood ornament. Not surprisingly, I like it better than the color image  ;)

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Desert Rat (Eric A. Rosen) on November 18, 2015, 08:44:50 AM
Striations in the desert

Wonderful image Eric. Is this in an area that requires one of those limited permits to access?
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

I think it is hard to beat AZ winter light coming through a north-facing window. This is my granddaughter Nsly and her new hat  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Tower Guy

Really like your canyon shots Ross, my two favorites are the first two. The lighting in the canyon along with the low clouds really sets a mood. Nice work.

Ross Dinsdale

Thanks Harvey.  Now that I've seen the Grand Canyon and photographed it. I've made it a personal goal for the next year to see it a few more times from different perspectives.  I've lived in Arizona my just about my entire life and it blew me away I waited this long to see it.  It evoked a sense of emotion inside me that I hope translates into the pictures I took and will take in the future.
Turd Ferguson
Las Vegas, Nevada
Comments and Critique are always welcome.

"Chair Juggling Extraordinaire"

John S

Went out to the White Tanks with a co-worker Thanksgiving morning to try for some sunrise shots but it was too cloudy.  This was probably the only shot that i thought was any good.  Tried to paint the cactus with the light on my phone but wasn't strong enough to get the top.  Also, some how the white balance on the camera go switched to flourescent from auto, thats how it got so blue.

Jeff D. Welker

One of the reasons I switched to the Sony A7RII body is how readily it allows me to adapt non-Sony glass. I'm especially fond of older manual focus lenses. Here is a recent acquisition; a Nikon Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 Ai-S. Mr. Scott Youmans has named it "The Beast" and the second image shows why. It is sitting next to a Pentax Takumar S-M-C 50mm f/1.4 lens. The adapter is coming tomorrow and I hopefully will be seeing some nice imagery from this combination soon. BTW, these two images were taken with my Loxia 2/50 :D

PS - All credit (i.e. blame) for my ongoing addition to classic Nikkor glass should be given to our confederate Brother Youmans. Of course, I'm partly responsible for the Pentax Takumar glass he's recently acquired  ;)
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ