Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris V

Tower Guy

Ned Harris

Juvenile Harris's Hawk, Santa Cruz Flats, 9/18/15.

_31A6219 Juvenile Harris's Hawk by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

scottcolbath

Damn, nice stuff all around guys.

S.C.

Mike Margolis

This evening's Super-Duper Blood Moon eclipse. I'll make a composite later when I figure out how... How did everyone else do?

30 seconds @ f10, ISO 100, 400mm, 1.4x, 7dMkII (1.6 crop), 896mm net, on an iOptron skytracker from Yuma
-2352 by Mike Margolis, on Flickr

5 seconds @ f10, ISO 100, 400mm, 1.4x, 7dMkII (1.6 crop), 896mm net, on an iOptron skytracker from Yuma
-2374 by Mike Margolis, on Flickr
"Could be worse... Could be raining."

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Jeff D. Welker

This morning alone, I've seen hundreds of "Super Blood Moon" images on Facebook from friends and total strangers alike. Most are done very well; however, most are also similar. As I did not attempt to photograph this event, I believe I have an unbiased opinion on the matter. Therefore, I offer my sincere congrats to Jay for planning ahead and positioning himself in a location that gave him the opportunity to shoot something different. Your image of the super blood moon rising over the Superstitions is wonderful. The bright warm contrast of the moon against the dark cool blue of the sky and Superstitions is terrific. Your exposure appears to be excellently balanced and I like how I can still see some faint detail in the mountain. Sharpness is a hallmark of any Beckman image and this is no exception. I'm guessing you had over 1,000mm (500 + extenders) focused on this composition on a warm evening. The detail you achieved is amazing. I also like how you captured only part of the moon. Partly obscured by the Superstitions and partly by the eclipse. I realize you, like all other shooters last night, were at the mercy of mother nature. That being said, your final composition and framing has an interesting "feel" and gives context that goes beyond the "capture" of this unique celestial event. BTW, did I mention I like it  ;D
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Wow Mike. I'm amazed at the sharpness and detail you captured in this second image using the iOptron Skytracker. I would have thought that at nearly 900mm the heat haze alone would have made this nearly impossible. I'm having trouble comprehending how you can reach that far into space and get such a terrific image. Your practice a preparation surely paid-off in spades. Well done sir. BTW, I think I can see a few Hasselblads sitting on tripods at various sites on the surface  ;)

Quote from: Mike Margolis on September 27, 2015, 10:37:47 PM
This evening's Super-Duper Blood Moon eclipse. I'll make a composite later when I figure out how... How did everyone else do?

5 seconds @ f10, ISO 100, 400mm, 1.4x, 7dMkII (1.6 crop), 896mm net, on an iOptron skytracker from Yuma
-2374 by Mike Margolis, on Flickr

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Thanks Jeff...

I left the TC off for the rise shot hoping the apparent size of the moon would offset the lack of reach.  I guessed well I think.  Final framing is pretty much just a tweak to 1:2 aspect.

The spooky thing was expecting a "Full Moon" to rise like normal, but actually seeing 1/3 of the disc already eclipsed.  Felt a little like Tom Cruise in "Oblivion"
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Mike Margolis

Thanks Jeff!! Honestly, I was surprised as well... The star above the Moon tells the story - pretty much a dot - a dot that was not at all visible to the naked eye. I had hoped the 30 second exposures would have been better, otherwise I would have certainly bumped the ISO up from the silly 100 I was using just for grins and/or opened up to f8 or so and dropped that long exposure. Lesson learned though - I had plenty of time to make all sorts of changes and bracket better. I also could have pulled the card and checked the images on the desktop while continuing to shoot with the other in-camera card - I was at home after all. Oh well, next time.

Mike Margolis

Chris Janes

Holy moons!! great shots Jay and Mike... I'm just getting ready to sit down and look at mine, was at work without a tripod so not to hopeful with hand held shots.

Jeff D. Welker

Nice photographs of the Marmots Eric. Do the Yellow Bellied versions chew on tires like their cousins in the San Juan mountains of Colorado? I had to replace one of my truck tires in Ouray about 25 years ago because one of these fellows got hungry and one of my tires apparently looked like a steak.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

I can think of FAR worse places to lose a tire than Ouray.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ