Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Corbett

Quote from: Jeff D. Welker on August 18, 2015, 11:17:23 AM
I love the "Milky Way over Williams" image Brian. I've never figured-out how to get this type of photograph. You did a terrific job.

Gracias, Jefe! It's actually not that hard. Just need some seriously dark skies, a f/1.4-1.8 lens, and the typical night photo stuff.  :)
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

Mike Margolis

Very nice Brian! And Jeff... Night shooting is fun and different! Wandering around out at 2am is always interesting...
I'm able to get by with a 30 second exposure at 1600 ISO and f2.8 on a Riconon 14mm and a Canon 6d (great for night) - even with the very harsh light from
San Diego right over these hills (between Mount Laguna and Julian.) Added a little bit of "light painting" in the foreground - a little light goes a very long way.
Note the slight blurring of the stars on the edge of the frame - 30 seconds is about the limit at 14mm without a tracker.

Night Mount Laguna Stars Fields July 2015-9403 by Mike Margolis, on Flickr
"Could be worse... Could be raining."

Brian Corbett

Nice shot, Mike! I think mine was a f/2.8 lens with a 5D MkII. Exposure was somewhere around 20 seconds at ISO 1000. I need to get back out there and do some more shooting soon, as the Milky Way is crazy bright in the sky right now, even in town. I think I'll give the light painting a try, as I like the depth it provides! Thanks for sharing!
"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."  --Marshall Foch, September, 1914, Battle of the Marne.

Inverted Sky Images

KeithS

Very nice Milky Way shots.  It is interesting at night....and then the processing.  Here are a couple from my first attempt last year.  The first is 35mm, 13", f/1.8, ISO 3200.  The second was the same, except at ISO 2000, and stacking about 10 photos and 10 darks.  Taken along Vulture Mine Rd, south of Wickenburg.

Chris V

Milkyway with a small shooting star over the Barry M Goldwater range with illumination flares lighting the underside of the clouds.

Brian Corbett

Awesome shots, guys!

Chris - LOVE the lighting from the flare and how it makes the clouds seem so insignificant!

Inverted Sky Images

wingsnstuff

Wow! Stunning image Chris.  Time Lapse or Composite Image...however you accomplished this shot, the result is amazing.  Beautiful...well done!

Chris V

Thanks! Single 30 sec exposure.

Very nice glass pics!!

Jeff D. Welker

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis

Quote from: Joe Copalman on August 22, 2015, 11:52:37 PM
PREHISTORIC DOG

Hey Joe, Very cool!! I saw something like that at the La Brea Tar Pits... Wolves they had pulled from the tar over the years.

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Chris V on August 19, 2015, 09:00:16 AM
Milkyway with a small shooting star over the Barry M Goldwater range with illumination flares lighting the underside of the clouds.

Bloody hell this is a cool shot, Chris.  One of my favorite spots for Milky Way shots too.

Looks like you caught the tail strobe of an A-10 in the lower right corner as well.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Mike Margolis on August 22, 2015, 11:56:16 PM
Hey Joe, Very cool!! I saw something like that at the La Brea Tar Pits... Wolves they had pulled from the tar over the years.

Precisely where I shot that on vacation with my family last month.  That entire wall was amazing.  I'm not a big "man cave" guy, but a huge wall of wolf skulls is pretty much how I'd decorate mine if I had one. 

Love all three of those Sonora Museum shot, btw.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Mike Margolis

Quote from: Joe Copalman on August 22, 2015, 11:58:38 PM
Quote from: Mike Margolis on August 22, 2015, 11:56:16 PM
Precisely where I shot that on vacation with my family last month.  That entire wall was amazing.  I'm not a big "man cave" guy, but a huge wall of wolf skulls is pretty much how I'd decorate mine if I had one. 
Love all three of those Sonora Museum shot, btw.
Thanks Joe!! My grandparents lived across the street from the tar pits in that huge apartment complex back in the 60's. I'd not been back there since then. I remembered some the vintage park equipment, big trees, and old/original displays. Now I have to go back again to nab a shot like yours of the wolf wall!! Lol!!