15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

One for the history buffs:

After Matt and I left the Scottsdale Air Fair the other day, I looked at my odometer, which was at 155,697 miles.  I commented to Matt, "You know you're an aviation geek when you look at your odometer and realize that your mileage is the bureau number of an A-6." 

Had the camera with me today when it rolled over to 155800, which belonged to an aircraft involved in one of the most significant missions in Naval air combat history.

Any ideas as to what type of aircraft it was and what is so special about it?
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Was that Cunningham and Driscoll's F-4 number?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Booyah.

At least it was the aircraft they were flying when they scored kills number 3, 4, and 5.

I'm not a serial geek, but for some reason, the other day I knew my mileage (155,697 at the time) was an A-6 BuNo, and I said something to Matt about it in the car.  Then I got the idea to do some "You know you're an aviation geek when..." type post, and just waited for my odometer to roll around to something of interest.  Two days ago it rolled through the BuNo of an F-4 that was a MiG-Killer, then wound up crashing at Point Mugu back in 2002 or so, but I spaced it and missed it. 
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

Ned, Your raptor shots are just stunning.  Wow!

wingsnstuff

The F-4 wearing their colors at the San Diego Air and Space Museum wears the BUNO 157287.  The plane Cunningham and Driscoll flew during kills 3, 4. and 5 was lost in the South China Sea after it was damaged during their last engagement. 

Brian Lockett

Union Pacific Steam Locomotive 844 pulled an excursion train from Tucson to Phoenix on Staturday, November 12. The excursion train is on a month long tour of the southwest U.S. to kick off state centennial celebrations in New Mexico and Arizona. The train will depart from the Phoenix station at 8:00 AM on Tuesday. It will make stops at Coolidge, Picacho, Casa Grande and Gila Bend on its way to Yuma.

Approaching the Recker Road crossing

Crossing Guadalupe Road in Gilbert

Crossing the Salt River Bridge

I have more photos of the excursion train on my web site at Air-and-Space.com

scottcolbath

Quote from: Brian Lockett on November 13, 2011, 06:54:28 PM
The train will depart from the Phoenix station at 8:00 AM on Tuesday. It will make stops at Coolidge, Picacho, Casa Grande and Gila Bend on its way to Yuma.

Maybe this should have been in the heads-up thread.  ;D

Cool pics, I like old trains.

S.C.

Jay Beckman

So I'm guessing it will have to cross the same bridge enroute to Coolidge on Tuesday morning...

The question is, can one shoot it here at Tempe Town Lake not long after it departs downtown around 8am and still beat it to Coolidge by 11am?
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jeff D. Welker

Just received my copy of Arizona Highways special December 2011 addition titled "50 GREATEST PHOTOS". While it contains nothing aviation related, IMO it is an interesting issue for photographers of all stripes. To determine the 50 greatest photos ever published by Arizona Highways is a daunting task at best and an interesting debate for folks like me that have been getting this magazine for as long as we can remember. If you enjoy fine images, you might want to pick up a copy at your local bookstore or newsstand.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

An interesting caveat to Jeff's post...

One of their (now) regular contributors (Suzanne Mathia) started out as a Friends of Arizona Highways Workshop volunteer not that long ago and since 2007 she's had a couple covers, several back covers, a few major layouts and I just saw through her FB page that she has three images in the Top 50!

Suzanne was a Desert Light Photography Group member and I can still remember when she bought her 1DsMkIII and was complaining at a meeting about the file sizes!  ;D

That is dedication to your dream!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Jay Beckman

Kinda got pimped by Union Pacific today...

Because they had no way to turn the train in Phoenix, they backed her all the way to Picacho with a diesel out front at Coolidge.  I had intended this shot to be far more triumphant and epic...

However, being the eternal optimist that I am, backing out of Coolidge allowed this shot which could have never happened if she'd been running the right way!

Hope others caught her at various places today.  Spectacular piece of 1940's American engineering!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Brian Lockett

I chased the Union Pacific Excursion train from Tempe to Gila Bend today.

I waited an hour for the train at the bridge across the Salt River. It reversed its direction from Saturday, with the Diesel in front and the steam locomotive at the rear.

I caught it again near Recker Road.

Despite slow traffic on the Hunt Highway, I managed to beat it to the  Florence Avenue crossing in Coolidge.

During the stop in Coolidge, the steam locomotive had its fuel and water replenished and its bearings were lubricated.

I headed down to Picacho to catch it crossing Milligan Road.

At Picacho, the Diesel and its tender were moved to a position behind the steam locomotive. The train reversed direction again, putting the steam locomotive at the front.  I waited on the Highway 87 overpass for the train to depart from Picacho, then skipped the Casa Grande stop.

I drove west on Interstate 8 to Gila Bend and backtracked on Highway 238 to the Maricopa Mountains.

Jay Beckman

Thought I saw you at Coolidge...Wish I'd have had time to chase her further today.

More of my adventure in Coolidge: http://crosswindimages.com/p1048258930

BTW, there was an IAR C-130 in the pattern over at the airport!
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

Chris V

Shot of my car out at my work last week.