Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Youmans

Nothing too creative but the moon is always amazing when you stop to think about it. Not ideal conditions, slightly hazy cloud cover and in the middle of the city.  Handheld. 500mm f/4, 1.4x, 1D Mk IV.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

I would never imagine a bull could jump that high.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Tower Guy

That is one great action shot Kaspar, the whole photo is in motion, very cool!

Jay Beckman

Quote from: Scott Youmans on November 18, 2012, 07:54:57 PM
I would never imagine a bull could jump that high.

I'm guessing the rider didn't consider the possibility either...  ;D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Steve's Barber Shop, Lee Mass. circa 2004
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Ghost Ranch, NM - 2007
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

scottcolbath

Quote from: Scott Youmans on November 18, 2012, 10:30:37 PM

Cool shot. What in the world brought you out to Western Mass?

I grew up in Framingham.

S.C.

scottcolbath

Nothing special about this pic. Just a couple of trinkets I brought back from the Baja 1000, and the perfect Jack and Coke.

Joe, my garage fridge has reached the perfect temp. The Jack and Coke blend with the iced glass and Arctic brand ice, for an amazing drink. I still owe you one.........or ten.  8)

And while we are at it, a couple of pics from the Baja 1000.

Coming in to San Felipe, we see our first badass race vehicle.

This guy is available for your wedding. I can hook you up.

Not a bad view for lunch.

One wrong turn on the way to Gonzaga almost kills an afternoon near the SF airport. I ran down the airport road and missed the turn to Puertocitos/Gonzaga. When I made a 15 point turn on the narrow road, my tires sank in the asphalt at the edge and I was up to my diff in no time.

On the way to Gonzaga, we stop in at Race For The Wounded central, where we met up with a friend, John Graves and a couple other riders who are supporting the Wounded Warrior Project.

http://www.raceforthewounded.com/

John Graves on the left. I can't recall the other guys' names. The great news is that they finished the race under the max time.

John's place on the beach, South of SF is on-the-water. You can toss a line in off the porch and catch dinner.

After 100 miles of bad Mexico asphalt (even the new stuff) and 13 miles of bad dirt road to Gonzaga, we arrive.

Race day....Honda's A team at Gonzaga. First guys through.

Next team through is Kawasaki.

As night falls, I'm telling some new friends about how I made my first visit to  the Baja 1000 in 2006, thanks to a class 1 racer named Stuart Chase. I am no kidding, at the end of the story, when this car rolls up to where we are sitting.

Yup. Stuart Chase, and he has a flat left rear tire.

He rolls past the Baja Pits to some minor support pit who changes his tire and sends him on his way.

Enough of the race. Check out this food.

Waking up to this the morning after the race....Not too shabby.

What is there to complain about?

We pack up and head out on the now 13 miles of road that has been torn up by race traffic and make it back to San Flippy for some excellent shrimp tacos. Yeah, the name of the place is Adriana's, but her name is Maria. She makes very good shrimp tacos.

Overall, a great time. I put maybe six miles on the bike. I just had a great time hanging out with old and new friends. The bike sat, but the soul was fed. Can't wait for 2013. I'm going to try and make the Elsinore GP and then run down to Baja.

S.C.

Scott Youmans

Quote from: scottcolbath on November 19, 2012, 07:51:12 PM
Quote from: Scott Youmans on November 18, 2012, 10:30:37 PM

Cool shot. What in the world brought you out to Western Mass?

I grew up in Framingham.

S.C.
Scott, My wife was born in Vermont and grew up between Schenectady and Saratoga Springs, NY.  I worked for GE in Schenectady the late eighties and early nineties.  We lived right across the street from the Schenectady County Airport where the USAF LC-130s are based.  We still go back to that area almost every summer.  Mainly up around Lake George but often make our way through southern Vermont, western Mass and over to the coast.  That area of Massachusetts is beautiful.  Stockbridge and Williamstown were always favorite day trips.  We often vacationed in Rockport.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

scottcolbath

Quote from: Scott Youmans on November 19, 2012, 08:08:06 PM

Scott, My wife was born in Vermont and grew up between Schenectady and Saratoga Springs, NY.  I worked for GE in Schenectady the late eighties and early nineties.  We lived right across the street from the Schenectady County Airport where the USAF LC-130s are based.  We still go back to that area almost every summer.  Mainly up around Lake George but often make our way through southern Vermont, western Mass and over to the coast.  That area of Massachusetts is beautiful.  Stockbridge and Williamstown were always favorite day trips.  We often vacationed in Rockport.

Cool. Say hello to Arlo on your next visit.  ;D

And yes, that area is very nice.

S.C.

trmphoto

Quote from: Scott Youmans on November 19, 2012, 08:08:06 PM
Wow Scott, small world.  I was born and raised in Troy, NY.  During the 1980's before I moved to AZ, I went to the air show that was held every year at the Schenectady County Airport.  Lots of good memories.

BillOz

Does a running horse ever have all 4 feet off the ground at the same time?
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Scott Youmans

Great shots Bill.  Apparently a horse is at times completely airborne when running.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Dave S.

Quote from: scottcolbath on November 19, 2012, 08:05:50 PM
Yup. Stuart Chase, and he has a flat left rear tire.

He rolls past the Baja Pits to some minor support pit who changes his tire and sends him on his way.

Scott,

Looks like it was quite a successful trip to Baja.  Also looks like it can get quite exciting being close to the race course as they come barreling through.
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses