Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris V

Shot this one earlier in the week. I am not super happy with it because of some of the noise but pushing the 40D to its limits  ;D

Scott Youmans

I would be very happy with both of those shots!
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Chris V

Thanks Scott!

Dave that shot of yours is way awesome!! I like the B & W!!

Scott Youmans

Yes, Dave's shot is similarly top notch.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Very nice Sir Chris. How about a little exif info on both shots.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

wingsnstuff

Super shots Chris.  West Valley or East Valley?

Chris V

1st shot was ISO-100 F22 for 2 sec at 22mm

Night shot was ISO-400 F4.5 for 44 sec at 16mm

Both taken in the South Valley, is there such a place lol!  My neck of the woods in Maricopa.

scottcolbath

Quote from: Scott Youmans on August 21, 2012, 11:47:54 AM
Being in a steel tank of water on a knoll during a thunder storm didn't seem advisable.

Where is your sense of adventure?  ;D

S.C.

aaron kluth

Taken south of Holbrook, Az
All Images © of Aaron J. Kluth all rights reserved.

aaron kluth

Collidge sunset, taken from Calvary Chapel Coolidge
All Images © of Aaron J. Kluth all rights reserved.

Jeff D. Welker

Loving the sunset images Aaron and Vance.

I've had the blessing of increased client requests for architectural work over the past few months. Accordingly, I needed a full-frame sensor camera. Since I'm already invested in Canon lenses, the 5D3 was my choice. I sold my 1D4 to Ned to help fund the 5D3 and a new tripod/ballhead. My 7D will serve as my primary aviation camera; however, the 5D3 will certainly be participating in that venue as well. After some minor arm wringing on my end, I was able to convince an acquaintance in Colorado that he could live without his 5D3. I got the camera from FedEx yesterday and excitedly started charging batteries and reading the manual.

I ran out to Willie and the ramp was totally vacant. Absolutely nothing to photograph - go figure. On my way home, I drove by an old childhood haunt and stopped to capture one image before the light was gone. This shot is of a place called "The Slide" on one of our irrigation canals.

It is a location where I swam as a teenager 40+ years ago. It is fenced-off now and access restricted. I was able to capture this angle from an adjacent road. While there is nothing spectacular or compelling about this image, past memories made it a good place to baptize the new camera. While it was only 98* when I was taking this photo, the humidity was unusually high and the temptation to relive my youth and jump into the canal was very tempting.

Side note: I was in such a rush to try out the 5D3, I did not take the time to reset some of the camera settings from the prior owner's usage. Accordingly, this first image still shows "Steve Zimmermann" as the owner/photographer in the EXIF. Seems an appropriate tribute to a great individual that "helped a brother out". It is going to be great fun (and profitable) using this new platform  ;D

THE SLIDE
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Chris V

Thats a awesome shot Jeff! I'll be interested in seeing your shots with the 5D3. Whats your go to lens for architecture? I'd love to get the 5D3 but that will be a few years off when the used ones become affordable to me :)

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Chris V on August 25, 2012, 03:40:24 PM
Thats a awesome shot Jeff! I'll be interested in seeing your shots with the 5D3. Whats your go to lens for architecture? I'd love to get the 5D3 but that will be a few years off when the used ones become affordable to me :)

Thanks Chris. I'm trying to learn this new platform as quickly as possible; I've got an architectural shoot this Tuesday and want to be prepared. I've got a Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II in route that will be the workhorse lens for my architectural work. Previously, I was using my Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens. As long as I kept the camera level, it worked very well. However, there are times when level won't feed the bulldog and I need perspective control that the TS-E lens will give me. I'm told it also is a very good landscape lens. Played a little more with the 5D3 this afternoon. I noticed a few isolated thunderstorms approaching from the east and jumped in the truck with the hopes of catching some nice weather images. They dissipated before I got in position and I figured my time/gas was wasted. It turned out all was not in vain as I caught the last light of the day illuminating the eroded shoreline of Roosevelt Lake.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

Beautiful shot Jeff.  The colors are awesome

Chris V

Looks really sharp Jeff. I rented a 24 TS-E II a ways back for 3 days but it wasn't enough time to really get the learning curve of it. I did an architecture shoot with it but fell back to my 10-22 & 50 to get the final shots that got used. What do you shoot usually exteriors or interiors or a mix?