News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Youmans

Thanks Jay!  No real planning went into this.  I was in a galvanized steel tank of water under an umbrella, sipping on a gin and tonic with a splash of grapefruit juice.  Hopped out long enough to grab the shot an hopped back in before I froze.  We were forced out of the tank a little later by a passing storm.  Being in a steel tank of water on a knoll during a thunder storm didn't seem advisable.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

wingsnstuff

Ned, the butterfly shot is spectacular...

Jay Beckman

St George, Utah from the heights...
(G12 .. Pano Stitched in CS6)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

wingsnstuff

Nice shot Jay.  Were you up there for an air show?

Jay Beckman

Yep....

Inaugural show at their new airport which is at about 2 o'clock and 15 miles in the pano.  Great potential but I think they need to slide the date back a few weeks if possible.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com

wingsnstuff

Looks like one of the roads coming down into State College.  Nice shot Paul.

Dave S.

Went out to try and capture some lightning late yesterday afternoon.

Caught this while out there waiting...wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but it'll do.

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

wingsnstuff

The light show in the West Valley was pretty spectacular...the problem was that i was directly over us and I didn't care to test my lightning rod skills.  Your photo is super.  What does the color version look like?  I'll bet it's beautiful as well.  Nicely done.

Dave S.

Thanks Vance.  The color version doesn't quite pop like the b&w.  Cloud cover over on your side of town subdued the late afternoon light, especially the light hitting the Superstitions.

- Dave

www.roxphotography.com

wingsnstuff

Thanks Dave.  Those cloud formations look like they're straight out of a SciFi movie...one could expect the Transformers or Space Aliens to emerge at any moment.  Again, a very nice photo.

Jeff D. Welker

Tremendous image Dave. Those two bright thunderheads bring an incredible contrast to the darker Superstitions. I admire your tenacity to get out there during the storm - I think it paid off in spades. Two humble suggestions. One, I'd clone out the van/truck in Brown Road - slightly distracting. Two, I'd lose your monster watermark - it really obscures some of the best tonality on the left side of the image. May I suggest a small watermark that simply states: "© David Sheilds 2012" discreetly located in the lower right hand corner. Just two cents from the brain damaged guy that brought you Purple Haze.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Dave S.

Quote from: Jeff Welker on August 22, 2012, 05:41:18 PM
Tremendous image Dave. Those two bright thunderheads bring an incredible contrast to the darker Superstitions. I admire your tenacity to get out there during the storm - I think it paid off in spades. Two humble suggestions. One, I'd clone out the van/truck in Brown Road - slightly distracting. Two, I'd lose your monster watermark - it really obscures some of the best tonality on the left side of the image. May I suggest a small watermark that simply states: "© David Sheilds 2012" discreetly located in the lower right hand corner. Just two cents from the brain damaged guy that brought you Purple Haze.

Thanks, jeffe!

I had played around with LR's spot removal, trying to get rid of the van - but the asymmetry of the Brown Rd produced some awful results.  Guess I'll have to delve into the PS world to do it.  I had the same thought regarding that watermark.  It's large size is due to the vertical crop of the image.  Again, guess I'll give it a go in the 'ol PS realm.

I was a little surprised that I wasn't the only person out there yesterday.  There were a number of cars parked at the intersection, with cameras pointed high and to the east.
www.roxphotography.com

Jeff D. Welker

That intersection is a popular location. If my 5D3 had already arrived from FedEx, I'd have been there with you trying to duplicate.

I'm hoping when it comes next week to get lucky with a few remaining monsoons storms. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Dave S.

And I'm still trying for an opportunity to give my 'Triggertrap' a decent workout/checkout on lightning detection, and to see whether it will be quick enough to capture shots of lightning.  Maybe I'll see you out there.
-Dave
www.roxphotography.com

Chris V

Headed out last night also, best shot I manage was this one.