Non Aviation Photography Thread

Started by Jay Beckman, October 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Copalman

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Scott Youmans

Thanks Joe! We were there for my wife's birthday.  Would love to go back.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Scott Youmans

Quote from: Joe Copalman on April 29, 2012, 09:02:28 PM
TOWERS OF POWER

Joe, Is that powerplant around here anywhere?  Looks like one you'd see back east.  Cool shot.  Industrial subjects can be interesting.  I remember a photo in a Time-Life atlas when I was a kid that I really liked. It was a night shot of an oil refinery in Texas.  Really neat lighting.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Joe Copalman

Thanks, Scott.  This is the Citizens Thermal plant in Indianapolis.  I just got back from a five-day business trip there, tried to get out every night to shoot some photos. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Ned Harris

Desert Eye Candy: Male Pyrrhuloxia on Ocotillo. Sabino Canyon, 4/29/12.

_92W0124 Desert Eye Candy by Ned Harris, on Flickr
Ned Harris
Tucson, Arizona

Jeff D. Welker

TOWERS OF POWER

Great image Joe - I'll bet it would be a wonderful b&w conversion also.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

Quote from: Jeff Welker on April 30, 2012, 04:59:53 PM
TOWERS OF POWER

Great image Joe - I'll bet it would be a wonderful b&w conversion also.

Thanks Jeff.  I liked the colors in the sky, so a b&w never crossed my mind, but I think you're right. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Depew Memorial Fountain.

Another night shot from Indianapolis.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

Beautiful shot Ned.  I think I've seen these birds near the Starr Pass Marriott.

wingsnstuff

Nice shot Joe.  Did you get any shots at the airport? They get lots of transit birds passing through. 

Joe Copalman

Thanks, Vance.  I looked online for shots from KIND before I left and was unimpressed with what I saw.  Really nothing I couldn't get at Sky Harbor from better angles, and I would have needed to rent a car to go shoot out there.  I could see the airport from my hotel room, and the activity level was nothing like what we have at PHX.  We seriously have 10-20 times the volume of traffic that they get there.  On top of that, it was cloudy the whole time I was out there, so I would have spent a lot of time waiting around to get shots of Southwest 737s and FedEx DC-10s under cruddy gray skies from spots that are further from the action than 40th street or the Terminal garages.  I had a ton of fun going out and shooting stuff around the city at night, way more fun than I would have had at the airport.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jay Beckman

Isn't KIND built with the terminal waaaaaaay up at one end and like 7/8 of the runway is way the heck over ----------> there?

It would be like Sky Harbor having the terminal next to 24th street.

(Or am I thinking of another airport?)
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Joe Copalman

I think you're thinking of a different airport, Jay.  Looked like it was laid out with the Terminal in between the two main runways (much like PHX) with FedEx's terminal on the east side of the airfield and some private FBOs/hangars/jet centers/whatever on the north and west sides.  Runways seemed pretty far from the terminal and main parking lot, not quite as far out as the outside runways at KIAH, but close to it. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

wingsnstuff

Attached is an article about an A-7D mishap that impacted the lobby of the Indianapolis Airport Ramada Inn. 

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/RamadaInn_A-7D_1987.htm