News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Flying Southwest with my camera gear

Started by scottcolbath, September 12, 2013, 08:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottcolbath

I'm off to Denver next week, and I'll have my Tamrac backback loaded with cameara bodies and lenses. I'm flying Southwest. They say on their website that the size limits of carry on are 10 x 16 x 24 inches. My backpack may be a bit larger than that.

Does anyone here have experience getting their maybe oversized gear on, via carry-on they can share?

S.C.

MarkBennett

Hey Scott. I expect you'll be fine, but if not, a backpack full of gear sounds like a camera insurance claim waiting to happen. I recently had a photo shoot in Knoxville (look for it in the October Rotor & Wing, by the way) and, noting that I would be on a regional jet for part of the trip, I went to Tempe Camera and bought a relatively small Think Tank rolling case. It's not a backpack, but I didn't need a backpack (though I think they may have a combo backpack/roller).What I did need was for it to fit into the substantially smaller carry-on size of the smaller jet. Every trip before this, if I was on a regional jet, I had to plead to be allowed to keep my regular roll-on in the cabin, and all but one time I succeeded.

The small Think Tank worked like a charm and with very careful packing it carried: two Nikon D4 bodies with Really Right Stuff L-brackets, a 70-200 f2.8, a 28-70 f2.8, a 105 f2.8 micro, a Kenyon Labs KS-6 gyro with battery, extra camera batteries, extra data cards in Think Tank cases, a filter or two, some cords, a flashlight and reading glasses and air bulb and, I think, not much else. It was packed tight and, let me tell you, quite hefty. But it went right onto the regional, no hitches, and it was all I actually needed for the shoot. If I forego the gyro I can take an SB-900 flash with a little room to spare.

So, that may not be what you need or have in mind, but it's a solution of some sort...
Mark Bennett / AeroMark Images

Bill

If your concern is with the 10" height, don't worry. I have a LowePro Vertex that is over 10" when I have my laptop in the front pocket and it fits with room to spare.

Bill Todd

Jay Beckman

For a number of years, I flew using a LowePro Computrekker Plus AW.

Always fit the overhead on large jets and always fit under the seats on RJs.  Routinely carried my 300mm f/2.8 with two bodies, two or three smaller lenses and at least one Speedlight.  It could, with major interior reconstruction, carry the 500mm but with only one body and maybe one or two other small lenses.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

scottcolbath

Thanks guys. I put a tape measure to my bag, and it's real close. I think I'll be fine regardless.

S.C.