Solar Impulse (solar powered plane) to stop in Phoenix

Started by Chris Kennedy, March 28, 2013, 10:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Joe Copalman on May 15, 2013, 09:42:56 AM
I still don't get the purpose of this thing.  Demonstrating something that had already been demonstrated in the early 1980s? 

It is my understanding that the Solar Impulse group is waiting to race another alternative energy aircraft on the next leg of their flight. Apparently, shortly before his death in 2002 Thor Heyerdahl had designed an airplane made entirely of balsa wood and cannabis. He called the design Bong-Tiki and was seeking financial backing when he suddenly died of a brain tumor. With the recent legalization of marijuana, Thor's son (Chong Heyerdahl) was able to secure a grant from MMIG out of Colorado to build the unique aircraft. In a recent news release from their headquarters at Bob Marley International Airport in Jamaica, Chong Heyerdahl expressed optimism that the plane would be airworthy very soon; however, he really didn't care.

Well, that's what I heard...
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

BillOz

Quote from: Joe Copalman on May 15, 2013, 09:42:56 AM
I still don't get the purpose of this thing.  Demonstrating something that had already been demonstrated in the early 1980s? 

They aren't really so much demonstrating that an airplane can fly on solar energy, though they are the first to be able to fly more than 24 hrs. on solar energy power alone (through solar charged batteries at night). 

The real goal is to push solar energy, so simply they are a huge advertising campaign.  They are breaking some records here and there along the way. 
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Matt Ottosen

"The primary purpose is not to revolutionize aviation, but the way in which people think about energy and clean technologies.  If Solar Impulse technologies were used on a massive scale, the world would be able to save up to 50% of the current consumption of fossil energy."

This is what it said in the media packet.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Tower Guy

Jeff, I really like your understanding of this issue. ;D