News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

Antonov An-124 Ruslan at Willie

Started by Matt Ottosen, September 12, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ottosen

An Antonov An-124 Ruslan arrived at Willie today.  When Dave Loera talked with the flight crew they told him that they would be here for six days.  The following link is for today's arriving flight, I don't know if the flight number will remain the same:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VDA4099

I know there are some photographers that missed today's arrival that would love a chance to capture the departure.  Maybe some of you east valley guys can keep the group updated here.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

redsox223

I would appreciate any info. I havent been out to IWA in a while and wouldnt mind catching this bird.

Rob Silliman

Quote from: Mitchell Koffman on September 14, 2009, 02:36:18 PM
I would appreciate any info. I havent been out to IWA in a while and wouldnt mind catching this bird.

Mitchell,

It is parked almost as far from the 'knoll' as possible.  Here are some pictures I took yesterday (I don't expect I will be able to get back out to catch the departure - unless they don't leave until Saturday);

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob-the-org/sets/72157622369383192/

Rob

Joe Copalman

Word is that the An-124 will be departing "some time before noon" this Friday.  I'd recommend watching FlightAware for anything going out of Willie rather than the track for the inbound flight, as they may use a different flight number. 

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KIWA

"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

redsox223

If so, what locations would you suggest to get a view.

Joe Copalman

Depends on the time of day and the direction they depart.  Check your AzAP email for more info.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Bubak

JOE please send me mail on Antonov An-124 Ruslan too!

Thank Zdenek

Joe Copalman

Will do Zdenek!

Also - I'm hearing from another guy on Fencecheck that it will be departing on Saturday. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

John S

Hey guys,  nothing on FlightAware as of 8:20 Friday morning.  I am going to email a contact I have at the airport that always seems to know the departures of such things, he informed of the last time an An-124 was there that I knew about, about 3 years ago, I found out it it was the a couple other times after that.  I will get a time out if I find out anything.

John

John S

Ok, email is off, I will try to post here by phone if I get a reply, will also tweet it to azaerophoto.

John

Dave S.

Gents,

Looks like she's scheduled to depart at 8:30 tonight (Friday, 9/18), according to this article from azcentral.com:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/gilbert/articles/2009/09/18/20090918gr-antonov0919-CP.html

Dave
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

John S

No reply email, also nothing in FlightAware at 8:30 pm, maybe will get lucky with an morning takeoff.  I think last time I saw one here it was either 8 or 9 am.

I'll go by there on my way home, be about 10:15 pm.

John

Update---
It was still there at 10:30pm.  Anyone going to be there in the morning? 

Rob Silliman

You can't hide the noise of that thing taking off - or the sight of it if it is still on the ramp.

Rob

Joe Copalman

Article is based on old info.  Initial departure was supposed to be today (Friday), but was changed to Saturday a few days back. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ