News:

In Memory of Jay Beckmam
1961 - 2023

Main Menu

WARNING! Craigslist Issue

Started by Jay Beckman, January 05, 2013, 10:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Beckman

Reposting this from another photo group...

If you come across a Canon 7d body Ser. #3814B056AA it was purchased off a Tempe, AZ photographer using counterfeit bills via Craigslist. If you go to buy one off CL, write down this serial number and double check it against the one you're looking at.

Just helping spread the word.
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

Scott Youmans

Jay, thanks for posting this information.  I recently sold a D3s and was very cautious about the legitimacy of the bills I might receive.  Everything turned out very well but I actually studied how to detect counterfeit bills and took a magnifier with me in case there was any question.  A couple of times when selling items like this I've met the buyer at my bank so I could deposit the money right on the spot and have the bank look at the bills.  After hearing this I might make this standard practice.  I've got two lenses going up for sale later today so I'll be especially careful.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Matt Ottosen

I know it doesn't help this situation or any like it, but in this day and age I just don't understand why people don't use eBay and PayPal.  I use both and I love their services, I just look at the transaction fees as insurance if there is any sort of dispute from either party.
Matt "Linus" Ottosen
Ottosen Photography
Phoenix, AZ

The Legend of the Guardian of the Line
The Greek God "Linus" comes from the Greek name Λινος (Linos) meaning "leg."
In Greek legend, he was the son of the God Apollo who was accidentally killed when he stepped over the white line.

All images © Matt Ottosen | Ottosen Photography, all rights reserved.

Dave S.

Jay,

Unfortunate incident and thanks for sharing!  Hopefully we can all learn from this and protect ourselves to prevent another occurrence.

Another option, when dealing with cash, would be to pickup one of those counterfeit detecting pens,  like what they use at Circle K and such.  Run a swipe across the bill to detect a fake bill.
Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses