News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Lockheed-Martin F-16E/F Block 60 "Desert Viper"

Started by Ned Harris, September 06, 2009, 06:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpasley

Wing tanks! damn just how much external fuel can one of these new fangled Falcons carry?

Joe Copalman

Apparently enough to get to the east coast without having to hit a tanker or land for gas in Texas or Arkansas or wherever.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

bilwor

Two of four Desert Vipers repainted taking the AZ and Arizona flag off tail.

One of four Desert Vipers with new paint job (AZ and AZ flag painted out) General Dynamics F-16F "Fighting Falcon/Desert Viper" (RF-10)(USAF 00-6065)(UAE 3010)
KTUS 09/24/10

Second of four Desert Vipers with new paint job (AZ and AZ flag painted out) General Dynamics F-16E "Fighting Falcon/Desert Viper" (RE-4)(USAF 00-6004)(UAE 3029) KTUS 09/24/10

bill word
Tucson, AZ

jslugman

James "JSlugman" O'Rear
Yokota AFB, Japan RJTY

Author of "Aviation Photography- A Pictorial Guide"

wingsnstuff

I thought the reason that they put for the conformal tanks on the Vipers was so they would get extra range without having to deal with the drag of wing tanks, and/or the loss of weapon stores points. 

Joe Copalman

Correct.  They still need underwing tanks for long distance flights, and they have one coming up that they need to train for.

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

F-16_fixer

Also when we return the jets to the UAE they must be returned with all the equipment that they came with which included wing tanks. 
-Chris-

Jay Beckman

I think it voids the warranty if they don't return with all the parts...    :D
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.crosswindimages.com
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

wingsnstuff

Yeah, that going home thing.  I'll bet their butts are going to be sore by the time they get home...wow that a long time to be sitting in an ejection seat.   :-[  With regard to returning equipment, I figured they'd haul all that stuff back in one or more of their Herky birds.  

F-16_fixer

Quote from: wingsnstuff on September 27, 2010, 09:52:13 AM
Yeah, that going home thing.  I'll bet their butts are going to be sore by the time they get home...wow that a long time to be sitting in an ejection seat.   :-[  With regard to returning equipment, I figured they'd haul all that stuff back in one or more of the Herky birds.  

The UAE is cheap and they don't want to send any more cargo planes here than they have to.  As for the comfort of the ejection seat.  I've sat in the seat for well over two hours and it's really not as bad as you would think but I couldn't imagine not getting out of it for over 10 hours.
-Chris-

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

bilwor

First two Block 60 Desert Vipers to be loaded with wing & belly tanks. This one is General Dynamics F-16E Desert Viper 3033. KTUS 10/01/10

bill word
Tucson, AZ

bilwor

First two Block 60 Desert Vipers to be loaded with wing & belly tanks. This one is General Dynamics F-16F Desert Viper 3013 KTUS 10/01/10

bill word
Tucson, AZ

F-16_fixer

Excellent work Bill.  I was unable to get down there to catch them this morning.  Thanks for sharing.
-Chris-