News:

15th Anniversary | 2009 - 2024
15 Years | Over 30 MILLION Page Views

Main Menu

Ghosts, UFOs, Aliens or Operator Error?

Started by Jeff D. Welker, December 11, 2012, 07:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D. Welker

While I was playing with long exposures at KPHX, my final three images had some serious issues. I did not see the problems through the lens or on the LCD; however, it was completely evident on my monitor when I checked the images later that night. I've combined the three photographs into a single image to see if that helps me solve the issue - no joy. None of this showed up on any of my other long captures. I'm stumped more than normal. Accordingly, I need help beyond resolving this issue so I don't have this problem in the future.

Please take a look at the image and let me know what you think is causing the weird ghosting. Thanks.

Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute
any posted images without consent.

cpasley

it almost looks like a reflection, did you still have that gradient thing on your lens Jeff?

Joe Copalman

Even with a lens hood, you have so many errant light sources coming at you that there's really no way to prevent this.
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take photos of that aircraft."

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

You can always do test shots to check for this, and if you can identify the source(s) of flare, you can shade the lens from it/them, but if you have stray lights from multiple directions hitting the front element of your lens, it's much harder. 

For this shot, there was a streetlight out of frame to the right that threw light on my lens face through the cut in my fork-type lens hood.  I had to hold my hand up just outside the field of view on the right to block that light while I shot this. 

"If you've seen my work, you'd know I really can't take photos of any aircraft." 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

You can also look into shoe-mounted lens shade clip.  I've been looking at this one by Ebony for a while: http://mpex.com/ebony-lens-shade-clip.html

Keep in mind that this can only solve the problem of one errant source.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Dave S.

Jeff,

None of the ghostings look burned in to me (as in a static light source), wondering if they were caused by something transitory, i.e. did you get swept by a car's headlights during one or more of the exposures?

- Dave

Constructive Comments & Critiques are always welcomed
All images © David Shields, all rights reserved
www.roxphotography.com
Some Canon bodies and lenses

Scott Youmans

For what it's worth, keep in mind that our lens hoods on zoom lenses are optimized for the shortest (widest) focal length so when shooting at longer focal lengths the hood isn't doing all it could to prevent stray light from coming in.  Maybe try picking a zoom that has its widest focal length close to what you intend to use.  If that's already the case then you can ignore this post altogether!  Fixed focal length lenses might be less prone to this as well.
Scott C. Youmans
www.scyphoto.com
All Rights Reserved

Jeff D. Welker

Great comments everyone - thanks and keep them coming. I really appreciate the helpful links Joe; interesting stuff.

Got to thinking about this early this morning and wondered if I suffered a light leak from the view finder? I remembered reading that this can be a problem with long exposures in some cameras. Next time I try, I'll use the cover Canon makes for the view finder on the 5D3 and see if that makes a difference.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Most definitely a possible source of it up there on the garage with all the different light sources behind you. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Something that is still bothering me is why these "UFOs" showed up on the last three images and not the first 9. I did make a very minor (less than 3 feet) change in tripod/camera location; however, I don't recall anything different during those exposures than the others (i.e. cars driving behind me, Pasley spitting on the lens, etc.)??????
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ

Joe Copalman

Were your other shots (the "Santa" shot, etc) crops of shots that had all these other light sources in them, or are they more or less as-shot?  I have a few shots from our Desert Splash night shoot that were killed by one single light all the way across the runway at SDL. 

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

BillOz

Jeff,

Were the same spots/flares on all three images the same location and size/shape?

A small movement from your first 9 shots to the last three shots could be just enough to place your lens at a position and angle that the flare was created.

With so many lights in direct view, and at many different angles, it may not be easy to get rid of all flares.

Or people can just finally accept that there are aliens among us, messing up your photos.  Sell the photos to The Enquirererererererer.
Bill Osmun
www.afterburnerphoto.com       www.wideworldofaviation.com

Joe Copalman

LOL Bill!

And his lens IS pointed out toward the Estrellas, where those dastardly "Phoenix lights" like to hang out.

Joe Copalman
AzAP Co-Founder
Mesa, AZ

Jeff D. Welker

Quote from: Joe Copalman on December 12, 2012, 10:27:50 AM
Were your other shots (the "Santa" shot, etc) crops of shots that had all these other light sources in them, or are they more or less as-shot?  I have a few shots from our Desert Splash night shoot that were killed by one single light all the way across the runway at SDL. 

The others were crops of this basic view.
Jeff D. Welker
www.jeffdwelker.com
Mesa, AZ